• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boring my throttle body - can I use a brake hone?

ZmOz

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on boring out my Renix throttle body myself and making my own throttle plate to fit the new hole. For boring it out, do you think it would work to use a brake hone? Or is there any better do-it-yourself way of doing it? I would take it to a machine shop but I think I'm going to be doing a couple of these.

Yeah, I've seen that. Problem is with the renix TB I have to go all the way through, not just the taper on the bottom. I don't think it would be very easy to find any kind of sanding wheel that is the exact 58mm that I need. With a hone I could just set it to whatever diamater I needed. Problem is I need to remove quite a bit of metal...will I be able to do it with a hone? I've never used one before...

HONE

You could use a brake hone but it would take awhile to do it. Make your own flapper wheel from a piece of rod. Make a 1 or 2" split lengthwise and use your own sandpaper in it. I would be concerned that honing out that much (with a brake hone or with a flapper wheel) will not leave you with a true hole. Give it a try and have a spare handy just in case.:)

Yeah, I plan on buying another TB and doing it to that one. If it works I'll do my old one and sell it. :) The Renix TB starts at 52mm and can be bored to 58mm right?

Unless there's a new model on the market since I bought my brake cylinder hone many years ago, you don't "set" it to anything. We're not talking about a precision boring tool here, you know. It's 3 stones on spring-loaded arms. It might work (if you get one for calipers -- I don't think the one I have for wheel cylinders will go out to 2+ inches) but you'll have to watch it, and stop periodically to measure your progress.

Aluminum will probably gum up the stone pretty quickly. I know I´ve had little luck using the stones. on my air grinder with aluminum. Wood working tools and rotory rasps, aliminum rasps of some sort, will get you into the area, where you can try for a smooth finish.
The paddle sanding wheel they used in the write up, could work well, with the same technique used for honing cylinders. Keep it moving and try and work the center more than the ends. Slower speeds will probably work better. Frequent cleaning of the cutter/abrasive, will prevent bounce and chatter.

Back