• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bylaws

I've read through the by-laws and boiled down the most relevant sections for us below:

Article VII - Section 1, 2, 3:

We need to submit a list of members, a list of our Board of Directors (minimum of 3, including President, VP, and Secretary / Treasurer), and documentation of that BOD's election along with a list of our ByLaws (if they differ from the NAXJA by-laws). We also have to provide the specific geographic area we cover (should be obvious, here.)

We will need to have a chapter treasury-which I'm assuming would be a bank account accessible by the 3 primary members of the BOD-that we use to track all expenses and reimbursements from National to Chapter and vice-versa.

We will need to designate a single individual on the BOD as the Chapter representative to the national BOD for issues affecting chapters. They have limited rights on the national BOD and are there as a sounding board, more than anything, it appears.

Article IX - Events

Any official event (one that dips into the treasury, I imagine) requires the presence of at least 1 Chapter BOD member. I won't go into much detail on the rest of the event by-laws, but suffice to say they should be read over to make sure we agree with the restrictions (number of guests, Trailmaster, etc.) They are mostly related to safety and trail condition issues.

Lastly, there is a list of required gear thats pretty sparse and pretty self-explanatory.

as an official club, I think the safety equipment list is for liability reasons. I know I am getting ahead of things, but Do we need to get waivers formed up for our rides

I read through the bylaws quickly yesterday and there are a few minor changes that we would need to make, and then ratify somehow.

Yeah, I suspect that's an enforced rule due to liability. A minor would be unable to legally sign a damage/injury waiver on official activities so you wouldn't be able to attend Chapter events. :(

@Goodburbon1: What needs to be modified? Post it here for discussion would be my suggestion. Ratification of the bylaws would follow the election of the BOD, which would then be followed by a submission of all to the National BOD, at least as far as I can read.

I'm wondering about the "corporation" wording as well, will this apply to all chapters or does that need to be carried by only national?

do we need to make provisions for this?

. If any portion of the proposed geographic region overlaps the region of a previously established Chapter, the proposed Chapter shall either revise its proposal to omit such area or shall obtain permission from the governing body of the previously established Chapter to overlap the territory of such previously established Chapter.

I see no need to change anything else.

goodburbon said:
do we need to make provisions for this?

. If any portion of the proposed geographic region overlaps the region of a previously established Chapter, the proposed Chapter shall either revise its proposal to omit such area or shall obtain permission from the governing body of the previously established Chapter to overlap the territory of such previously established Chapter.

I see no need to change anything else.

Sounds like we need to contact the SouthEast chapter, confirm that LA is part of their territory, then acquire permission to overlap. Since it's acceptable for ANYONE to be part of ANY chapter, it shouldn't be a big deal for the SE guys to allow it.

goodburbon said:
I'm wondering about the "corporation" wording as well, will this apply to all chapters or does that need to be carried by only national?

My guess is that all of the "Corporation" stuff will only apply to the National BOD as we're simply creating a "branch" of an existing corporation. So I think we can ignore Article II and anything related to corporate operations.

Anyone know what chapter Texas currently falls under? we need to pose the same question to them.

Oh and I can't be pres, my wife said so.

I'd like to be something. See how bad I can screw it up....

Back