• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAT WORKDAYS! June 7 and June 8!

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Come on out to help us get some work done and earn hours for the end of year volunteer raffle.

SATURDAY, JUNE 7
Meet 09:00 AM BIG BEAR DISCOVERY CENTER

The focus for 2N04 will be general light maintenance and armoring the Arrastre Creek crossing. We will depart the BBDC to pick up shale rock/gravel, load it into my M416, and transport it to 2N04.

After we have completed the 2N04 work we will move over to the 2N02 shooting area and conduct a cleanup of debris left behind by irresponsible target shooters. NAXJA will provide disposable work gloves for this project.

SATURDAY NIGHT CAMPING
Volunteers only. You may camp if you volunteer for Saturday's work, Sunday's work, or both.
NORTH SHORE WORK CENTER
The work center is located at North Shore Campground in Lake Arrowhead. No reservations necessary but we must know if you're arriving as we are behind a gate.

SUNDAY, JUNE 8
Meet at 09:00 AM at North Shore Work Center

The focus for 2N49 will be clearing debris from the trail. We will require two winches. If you are currently USFS certified to operate a chainsaw please let me know. We will also be brushing the trail, where needed. NAXJA will be providing cheeseburger lunches.

COMMUNICATIONS
CB Radio: The fours. We'll start on 4, if busy we'll bump up to 14 or 24.
2m: 146.585 Simplex

What do I need?
Any vehicle that can do a USFS-rated moderate trail (Stock XJ, okay). 2WD XJ is acceptable with front tow points.
Bring gloves, a hat, and loppers. Please bring light long sleeve shirts for brush work. Closed toe shoe mandatory.

If you are joining us please use the poll in this thread to help us with planning.

Last edited:
How much highway driving is involved?

Drive from the Discovery Center to 2N04 is about twelve miles. Drive back could be a few less.

2N49 isn't really tow rig friendly as it's a 17 mile trail that starts at Silverwood and ends in San Bernardino.

I should be there.

There are lots & lots of folks that "should" be there :anon:.

But we, the awesome, the hardworking, the IGAF about our forest access & public lands, yes, we will be there!! As I know you meant, John :kissyou:.

Which campgroud do we stay/meet at for the work on Sunday?

Thanks for the reminder. I updated the Facebook page and failed to update this page.

We will be camping out of the Adopt A Trail North Shore Workcenter. This is located at the USFS North Shore Campground in Arrowhead, you do not need to make any official reservations but please let us know if you plan to camp with us.

Located here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...2!3m1!1s0x80c4a822fd906e43:0xebd7d610d9faa664

I will be in the area after lunch time on Saturday, camping Saturday night and working on Sunday.

I got gloves, hat, and 3 different sized gardening loppers and 1 set of hedge trimmers, so if anyone needs to borrow some I will bring them all.

Is anyone bringing dogs? I won't be bringing mine, they can be two handfuls to control if there are any other dogs around. Just wanted to know if AAT Workdays are "dog friendly" in case I can bring someone to watch them in the future.

Yes, provided the dogs are not overly aggressive toward people or other dogs we have no problem with dogs at any of our maintenance days or wheeling trips. Of course meet and greets, etc., may have different rules depending on the venue.

This weekend, folks!

For those of you coming up for camping Friday night head to North Shore Campground in Lake Arrowhead. When you drive into the campground you'll see a fork to your right heading to the Work Center, this is where we are camping. Those of you who are joining us on Friday please post up here so we know to look out for you.

Also if you have a 2 meter radio we'll be monitoring 146.585. I'll also monitor CB channel 4 if anybody is lost.

Saturday morning we meet at 9:00 at the Big Bear Discovery Center. Those joining us in the evening to camp and volunteer Sunday can meet us at North Shore as well, same story as above.

There *is* cell signal in camp. In fact I'll be doing some server work Friday night from camp.

I have to bail on this weekend. work is not letting me go.

I can't make both days. Will be camping Saturday night and probably helping on Sunday.

Back