• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UT- Grand Staircase-Escalante N.M./Capitol Reef

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
A National Park and Monument that were made for Jeeps! Long distances to cover with lots of breathtaking scenery outside the window here. A map showing several possible routes through this area follows. Note that I have not done the southern portion of Smokey Mountain Road, I got that one in a track swap from Steve on ExPo.

orig.gif

Starting from Capitol Reef... the Burr Trail switchbacks. This is one of only 2 roads that cross the 100 mile long Waterpocket Fold. Note the vehicle far below:
orig.jpg

Driving along the Waterpocket Fold. This is a long way from anywhere!
orig.jpg

Looking south from the Strike Valley overlook at the tortured rock of the Waterpocket Fold. This continues south all of the way to Lake Powell.
orig.jpg

A wicked looking arch in Muley Twist Canyon
orig.jpg

Dropping off the Kaiparowits Plateau on Left Hand Collet Road. This is a shortcut between Smokey Mountain Road and the Hole in the Rock Road. These rocks had a bunch of marine fossils.
orig.jpg

Checking out the Twentyfivemile Wash Dinosaur Trackway... there were birdlike carnivore tracks:
orig.jpg

Herbivorous sauropods left their elephant-like tracks, and a tail drag mark! At the time this was wet sand on the shore of a long inland sea that ran up through this part of America.
orig.jpg

Heading towards Lake Powell on Smokey Mountain road
orig.jpg

Gunsight Bay as seen from Alstrom Point on Lake Powell, one of the most dramatic overlooks anywhere!
orig.jpg

The attached .gpx file has tracks for the routes shown, as well as all of the points of interest I mentioned here.

Attachments

• Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument.gpx
    471 KB · Views: 16
Back