• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj windshield

Lt.hartman

NAXJA Forum User
What's the difference between the 84-93 windshield vs. the 94-01 windshield

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the glass is interchangeable. The only difference in mounting was whether they had the metal trim or it used the rubber trim. You can use the rubber trim on the older models if you zip off the little rivets on the frame that held the clips for the metal trim.

Yep just the trim, on my MJ I swapped in the rubber and ditched the metal.

Good to know I was thinking about doing it but didn't want to buy the seal if it wouldn't work

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Review mounting button is different as well.

Be sure to paint any bare metal in the window frame use a quality paint, epoxy is good stuff. when using a knife to cut the seal, be noted that the blade can cut the paint, if that happens, sand around the cut, and paint. failure to do this can result in a lot of rust damage.

Ive got a small leak at the top of my windshield on the driver's side. Im half tempted to pull the ribber trim and add some sealant to that area and see if it stops it. But i should probably pull the whole windshield and have it resealed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I had a windshield leak in my '00 XJ. Coming in the passenger compartment just to the left of the passenger side visor.
At the time I was having my body guy deal with some surface rust issues on the roof and hood.
So I asked him to deal with the windshield too. Just incase it was more then a remove, regunk, and replace. Cause once you get in there who knows what you will find.
I got lucky.
And on an '00 the molding is wrapped around the window. So if you try to pull it up in the section that it is leaking in, regunk it, you will never get the molding back on properly. I did not watch the window guy do it but thinking he put the new molding around the window and placed it in all in one shot after laying done a bead of gunk.

I did not watch the window guy do it but thinking he put the new molding around the window and placed it in all in one shot after laying done a bead of gunk.

That's the best way since it wraps around the edge, otherwise you'll never get it to sit right. I pulled the rubber on my MJs rear window to reseal and wished I just pulled the window, or gone to a glass place and let them do it.

The trim also tends to get stuck into the urethane adhesive as everything is pressed in, making it very difficult to remove and replace just the rubber to try resealing.

That's the best way since it wraps around the edge, otherwise you'll never get it to sit right. I pulled the rubber on my MJs rear window to reseal and wished I just pulled the window, or gone to a glass place and let them do it.

The trim also tends to get stuck into the urethane adhesive as everything is pressed in, making it very difficult to remove and replace just the rubber to try resealing.

An MJ rear window is not like a '96 and down XJ hatch window?
I have no experience with MJ's.
My understanding for the XJ rear window is that it is the rubber that keeps it in.
No gunk. Like the side cargo windows in all XJ's.

It's a slider window, but it's mounted the same way as a typical windshield. Urethane adhesive holds the metal window frame to the body and there is a rubber trim around it.

Back