• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterpump bolt holes not lining up with block...

TheDanShin

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever ran into an issue where the Water pump bolt holds arent all used due to lack of center hole on the block?

I was replacing my water pump when i noticed that i was missing a bolt. Found another that works but it doesnt line up to anything on the block...

I will try to get some pictures when i pull the tstat and water pump again to investigate more. for now its just tightened by all the other bolts that line up.

I bought this jeep and found out later the motor has been swapped out. its a 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport.

Sounds like you need to find out what engine, year-block/head is in the beast. With all the Mods folks do to these, who knows what is there?

Took me a year to figure out my 85 had a Nissan 81 SD22 engine in it, LOL

What engine do you have ? Have you looked at the casting numbers on the side of the block to determine when it was made and what other Jeep it came from ? How many bolts were removed from the previous water pump ? How many bolts are installed on the new water pump ? Did the parts store sell you the correct water pump ?

Last edited:
What engine do you have ? Have you looked at the casting numbers on the side of the block to determine when it was made and what other Jeep it came from ? How many bolts were removed from the previous water pump ? How many bolts are installed on the new water pump ? Di the parts store sell you the correct water pump ?

Im def. going to check the casting tomorow when i go back to the shop. im in the middle of doing a 3link long arm with shackle relocation brackets and putting in new driveshafts. i ordered multiple water pumps to the shop and none fit. even tried older years etc.

its a 2001. the head has coil packs no dist.

The block again not sure.. ill peep the casting marks on it tomorow!

Thanks!

Are we talking about a 4.0 motor? I've got 2 2k's and they use the same pump as all 4.0's.

Line up the gasket with the block and see what aligns. Start the lowest bolt first then the top bolts.

Maybe you have a grand Cherokee pump or something else is screwy, but my first thought is you have yours clocked wrong, that's the reason I said start the lowest bolt first, then the tops have to align.

I have a vague recollection of a rush pump change late one evening in the driveway where I could start two bolts but the third wouldn't align. After a bit of head scratching, I figured out I had the pump clocked wrong and I needed to twist the pump one bolt hole to the right.

I installed a pump on my 99 approximately 4 months ago. I started with one from AutoZone and the casting was screwed up not allowing proper fitment. Returned for a refund, and went to advanced. They had the same screwed up casting.... Headed to the local Napa which sold the gates name brand. Fit like a glove. Maybe the casting issue is a common problem with these? Just sharing my experience, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I installed a NAPA water pump on the 1999 about 3 weeks ago, no problems. I don't buy any parts from IdoitZone or Advance.

Maybe you have a grand Cherokee pump or something else is screwy, but my first thought is you have yours clocked wrong, that's the reason I said start the lowest bolt first, then the tops have to align.

I have a vague recollection of a rush pump change late one evening in the driveway where I could start two bolts but the third wouldn't align. After a bit of head scratching, I figured out I had the pump clocked wrong and I needed to twist the pump one bolt hole to the right.

There's only four bolts, so between the pump intake, the heater hose connection, and internal bypass port you would have to be drunk or stoned to get wrong!

Forgot to add the pic.......
P1080510_zpszrlfib5k.jpg

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you guys...

I finally had time today after work. popped off my old WP and realized that the bottom right side bolt hole doesnt line up with the block. After doing some googling, and ordering parts from my vendors, the correct water pump is from a 2003 TJ.... the gasket fits perfectly on the block. unfortunately i obviously cant use a TJ water pump due to the different power steering design and Pulley itself... Ended up just RTVing the shit out of the bottom right side and re sealing the pump and re installing it. I am stumped on what to do... I am planning on getting a Stroker from a local place here in Denver anyways within this year so i think im just going to deal with it for now... It takes about 6months to start showing signs of leaking.

There's only four bolts, so between the pump intake, the heater hose connection, and internal bypass port you would have to be drunk or stoned to get wrong!

turns out out i actually have 5 bolts on my block. The far right being offset a little lower than the picture you posted... Any ideas? i couldnt see any casting numbers to see which block it is but im pretty sure its from a TJ...

It's a TJ or WJ, so you'll have to figure out how they originally did it.

I am planning on getting a Stroker from a local place here in Denver anyways within this year

Strokers are usually built, not bought. I don't know of anyone that does them in Colorado?

Their prices are way below what most charge. I would want to know a whole bunch more on what parts they use. "I built" my stroker and the parts alone were almost 5000$.

Back