• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building stock height rear shock mounts (PICS)

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So... After breaking off BOTH my rear shock mounts (long story) I started building new ones. I checked around to everyone I could think of, and nobody had a stock height lower shock mount in the rear. Which is important to me as I need up travel, and have my shocks a certain length. A "low profile" mount would eliminate LOTS of up travel for me. So I decided to build a replica of the stocker, but quite a bit stronger :D

I started off by making a cardboard template, and cutting out four sides. I knew my axle tube was 3" so I just used a 3" hole saw, and cut right down the middle.

guess.jpg

The sides are 3/16" and the center sections are 1/4".

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

Then we got her all welded up!

IMG_0761.jpg

After that it was time for a trip to the hardware store. We picked up some 4" x 5/8" grade 8 bolts, along with some sleeves, washers, and nuts.

Don't mind the hole being off center, I fudged it up :(

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

We then welded the bolt from the backside, and also welded this sleeve to the face of the mount. This gives a nice offset from the frame of the mount so the shock doesn't bind at all. Here one is completely finished and one is missing a single plate (figured out a better way to weld/assemble the second time around.

IMG_0776.jpg

Then we got to work mounting them up, they're beefy as hell!!

IMG_0780.jpg

Those are pretty sweet there Jim! They look like they can take a jump or two now! :D

Ha, that beautiful TIG work makes that MIG work look like ass. (sorry if that was you who did it).

Did you/or who ever welded that use some sort of guide to make sure your hand stayed straight welding that up? What kind of machine?

Look pretty sweet, beefy for sure. Those stock mounts suck, one of mine fell off without me even knowing on a trail, weld ripped clean off, didn't even bend the bracket.

Ha, that beautiful TIG work makes that MIG work look like ass. (sorry if that was you who did it).

Did you/or who ever welded that use some sort of guide to make sure your hand stayed straight welding that up? What kind of machine?

Look pretty sweet, beefy for sure. Those stock mounts suck, one of mine fell off without me even knowing on a trail, weld ripped clean off, didn't even bend the bracket.
Hahahaha no worries, not my welding, but he's GREAT with tig, just doesn't MIG enough to stay perfect. Plus we didn't have the heat settings all that great. And the mig weld you're seeing is the first one laid down hahaha... so it's the shittiest.

x2 on the stock mounts though, I know what you mean!

Oh and no guide on the TIG, that's all freehand :D Both his machines are miller's, not sure on the specs. Neither of them are small, or cheap haha.

Haha thanks! That's the plan! We'll see how they do for now. Eventually I'll go through the floor with my shocks, and mount above the leaf spring perches.

So i am guessing its not for sale anymore? :D

Ya, I was airing up my tire and my shock bent around my axle with the bracket still attached to it caught my eye, fun.

Ya I've been looking at Miller TIG's, none of them are cheap unfortunately. I wish I could keep my hands that steady.

Ehhh... if the right offer comes along it is, but I'm certainly not going to stop working on it.

thats the spirit!:cheers: keep it up your jeep is SWEEEET!

The TIG welds look great. Your avatar hints at the reason why you broke your mounts, I'm surprised you haven't punched through the floor.

Ohhhh wooooow... shock shaft bent and everything? That would have pissed me off hah.

Not just the shaft. They were crappy Explorer Pro Comps that came with the 4.5 Kit. I need to replace them now as they are too long since my new axle has raised shock mounts.

Kingston8-21-06055.jpg

Sorry for pic whoring on your thread

Back