• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnson Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jump This

Just another minion!
As many of you know I am the SoCal Chapter representative for NAXJA on the board of Friends of Johnson Valley.
Recently I asked the National BOD to make a sizable donation to FOJV.
It appears as though the BOD believes JV is a SoCal Chapter problem and not something they should spend their resources on.
I can understand....to a point.

The Hammers are a national icon for rock crawling, I don't believe anyone would argue that. Johnson Valley is the largest open recreation area in the country, nobody can argue that.
So, what if we lose this battle without giving it are best effort?
Is it another domino?
Or is it the biggest domino?
Some have argued that the national BOD has never stepped in to help any other area that was threatened to be closed. Why here, why now?
I'll tell you why (as though you would think I wouldn't tell you?)
I dought there has ever been a team assembled like those involved with FOJV.
The names involved read like a 'who's who' of the Rockcrawling world as well as key members of NAXJA. People like Goatman, Dave Taylor, Paul Sinclair, from our group, and Dave Cole, Dustin Webster and Jim Knox from the 'outside' ranks.
I have never worked with a more dedicated group. I am proud to say I am representing NAXJA, but I am equally proud to say I am working with the best team ever assembled to fight a land use issue.

WE can win this one, if we have the resources to do it.
I am asking all the SoCal members to e-mail the National BOD and let your voice be heard.
I am also asking anyone who believes as I do, that this battle is our line in the sand, to also contact the BOD. We lose this one, and we lose the best off roading area in the country.

Rick Rethoret
[email protected]

just more anti-california feelings from the rest of the US, it doesnt surprise me one bit.

how about some solid facts Rick?
how big is JV, acres wise?
how many events are held there annually that we know of?
how many off road enthusiast clubs call JV thier home turf?
what other types of outdoor activities is the area used for?

sorry to put you on the spot, but these are things i want to know as well, and im sure (well i hope) it will help bring to light how important this area is, and how many people actually use it. the usage statistics are WAY off, simply because Johnson valley is an open use area, IE they dont keep track of how many people go in and out of the area on any given day. THIS is what we need to show people. this area is used much more than anyone in a position to make a difference is actually aware of.

thanks for your work on this Rick, i am glad there are good people who are involved in the off road community out there working to make sure we dont lose this area.

:cheers:

As for Grimm's questions;

These # are off the top of my head.
Approx. 183,000 acres.
Many clubs call JV thier home turf. I.E. The Tinbenders, Victor Valley 4X4, Rock Crushers etc.
'Events' is a vague term, but they number in the HUNDREDS.
From model rocket club events to movie industry work, to evangelical retreats, to off-road racing events to rock crawling competitions to...well I bet you get the point.
But if we added up all the organized events there, I'd bet it pales in comparison to the number of just plain ol' family weekend getaways.

That is one thing that bugs me most of all, there is a HUGE number of people who may not have any idea that Johnson Valley is at risk of being lost.
These are the people who also might be the hardest to reach to let them know what is going on. We have a great group of people who will spend every single weekend this 'season' going form camp site to camp site, from event to event, from meeting to meeting, making sure our voice is heard.

Lets here is from ALL you that have ever been there.

What do you think about losing JV?
What should our BOD do to help?

Just so you all know, our local Chapter has agreed to send $500 to FOJV and that number will be matched by National. But we will need more. The other clubs involved in FOJV are also willing to step in and help, but these clubs are very small in numbers compared to NAXJA.
FOJV's plan of attack will take all the resources we can muster up.
And I promise you not one penny will be wasted.

Rick

I have not followed much of this, but there is way more use of that area by Bike riders then Rock Crawlers. Anyone who rides that area knows what a small percentage the Vehicles usage is compared to Motorcycle. My point, there is money within the off-road motorcycle community. Are the groups working together? District 37, MDR, Corva, etc..?

Hey Rick,

I understand the National BOD's stance on the issue.
Can you convince me a little bit more that this is a national issue??
Pretty much along the lines of Mike's questions.

I'm all for keeping JV open.

Thanks for your time and effort on this issue.

E

I have not followed much of this, but there is way more use of that area by Bike riders then Rock Crawlers. Anyone who rides that area knows what a small percentage the Vehicles usage is compared to Motorcycle. My point, there is money within the off-road motorcycle community. Are the groups working together? District 37, MDR, Corva, etc..?

Dist. 37 as well as ORBA are involved.
I'm not sure if any of the racing organizations (four wheel types) are involved yet. It should be noted that the promoter of King of The Hammers (Dave Cole) is the President of FOJV.
I don't know each members affiliation yet.

I just think if all the groups came together, not only would the money be there, but there is a lot of old timers who have used that area for ever, and would be passionate about saving the area.

So if MOAB was being threatened, would National step in? I am just trying to figure out what is a "local" problem and what is a "National" one. This could be the first step of many.......

Let me rephrase my question - How is this a NAXJA national issue?? Why should the "national" NAXJA donate money? Are NAXJA national events held there? Do NAXJA members from across the country wheel there too??

2x on what Andy said..

E

National is all of us. Not just SoCal, they are to represent all members.
To suggest that National shouldn't get involved in this battle would be to suggest they don't get involved in ANY land use issues.
No off-road organization should ever think they are exempt from taking up land access problems.
I am not suggesting that our BOD is turning a blind eye to these problems.
They have committed to match up to $500 any chapters donation. They have agreed to that already.
But, what does our representatives plan on doing with all the funds at thier disposal. Our most recent treasurers report states we have well over $25,000 available. I believe that some of that will be donated to land access organizations, but that is a thin film on a big problem.
What I am proposing is an infusion of capital to a particular cause.
It would not cripple our ability to fund other fights thought the country. It's my hope that it serves as a framework to help other chapters when they need the help.

To be sure, there are members of Friends of Johnson Valley that have access to funding. I'll be pounding on thier doors too.
But this is my club, and I couldn't feel stronger about this issue.
NAXJA has lead the way, and its my hope we will be our own land access organization right there with the Blue Ribbon Coalition or Tread Lightly.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now....

Rick

Whatever with the BOD. I don't know what their stance is and I don't care. This isn't something that NAXJA can solve by itself. Obviously it's going to take more than that.

I've never even been to JV. But for me, this fight started in Glamis. I'm sick and tired of people telling me when, where, and how I can recreate on public lands. I don't care if it's the top brass of the Marines or the GD sierra club. I sold my sand toy, because it was getting to crazy for me and here they are again trying to take the "Glamis" of rock crawling away before I even have a chance to check it out.

To that I say "FU" with a donation that I can afford at the moment of $25, a small fraction of what I've spent on sand toys, lifts and lockers for my jeep.

Hopefully all of us in the SoCal chapter will get behind that and not wait for someone in Kansas or any other part of the country to understand what's going on and get motivated because at that point, KOH will be some goofy staged course in Kansas. Get it? This is our fight throw down.

Whatever with the BOD. I don't know what their stance is and I don't care. This isn't something that NAXJA can solve by itself. Obviously it's going to take more than that.

I've never even been to JV. But for me, this fight started in Glamis. I'm sick and tired of people telling me when, where, and how I can recreate on public lands. I don't care if it's the top brass of the Marines or the GD sierra club. I sold my sand toy, because it was getting to crazy for me and here they are again trying to take the "Glamis" of rock crawling away before I even have a chance to check it out.

To that I say "FU" with a donation that I can afford at the moment of $25, a small fraction of what I've spent on sand toys, lifts and lockers for my jeep.

Hopefully all of us in the SoCal chapter will get behind that and not wait for someone in Kansas or any other part of the country to understand what's going on and get motivated because at that point, KOH will be some goofy staged course in Kansas. Get it? This is our fight throw down.

SoCal was the first 'club' to put on a fundraiser for the fight to keep Johnson Valley open. If need be, we will plan another one.
Thanks, and I know what you are saying about the dunes.
But I WON'T sell my sand toys either!
;)

National is all of us. Not just SoCal, they are to represent all members.
To suggest that National shouldn't get involved in this battle would be to suggest they don't get involved in ANY land use issues.
No off-road organization should ever think they are exempt from taking up land access problems.
I am not suggesting that our BOD is turning a blind eye to these problems.
They have committed to match up to $500 any chapters donation. They have agreed to that already.
But, what does our representatives plan on doing with all the funds at thier disposal. Our most recent treasurers report states we have well over $25,000 available. I believe that some of that will be donated to land access organizations, but that is a thin film on a big problem.
What I am proposing is an infusion of capital to a particular cause.
It would not cripple our ability to fund other fights thought the country. It's my hope that it serves as a framework to help other chapters when they need the help.

To be sure, there are members of Friends of Johnson Valley that have access to funding. I'll be pounding on thier doors too.
But this is my club, and I couldn't feel stronger about this issue.
NAXJA has lead the way, and its my hope we will be our own land access organization right there with the Blue Ribbon Coalition or Tread Lightly.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now....

Rick

Thank you for the clarification Rick. I now have a better understanding of the situation.

After I mesh it around in my brain, I will be sending an e-mail to the National BOD.

Thanks,
E

you .. should have finished our telephone conversation before starting this thread.

THANKS FOR STARTING A CLUSTERFUCK WITH HALF (and nowhere near the correct half) OF THE INFORMATION, RICK.

J...

If you ever call me back, like you said you were going to at 11 this morning, we can finish addressing the concerns at hand and I can tell you what we needed to make this bullshit happen.

-C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back