• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot (to the touch) Hubs

jccj7

NAXJA Forum User
I was washing the XJ today and noticed some steam/vapors coming from the hubs when water spashed on them. I just finished a 15 mile drive home before washing. I put my hand on the hubs and they were almost hot to the touch.

I have the Warn hub conversion and both sides were in the "Free" position. I also serviced the hubs about a month ago (cleaned and repacked with hi-temp bearing grease). I believe I reassembled the hubs correctly and verified that lock locked and free unlocked the hub.

So any ideas? Normal? I know hot hubs in the US Army means something is wrong with the wheel/hub/axle.

TIA,

JC

Make sure they have plenty of grease, but i think what your feeling is normal. Mine get hot to the touch too( I have the hub conversion as well), but I think this is just heat from the brakes.

Greddy

Your brake rotors are bolted right on to the hubs, so the hubs will get hot. Just compare the left to the right side and if their the same I bet everything is OK.

Back