• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Convert a distributor ignition (XJ-98) to a coil rail missfire system (XJ 2000+)

rubensx

NAXJA Forum User
Hello my NAXJA friends.

I'm from brazil and have a XJ 2000. (and like so much this forum, actually as a spectator)

But, here in Brazil the 2000 XJ don't have a missfire system coil rail. Still in old system with distributor and it is strange I know, but...
My doubt (I can't found in another thread) is about to convert the stock "98" distributor system to a "Viper coil" or coil rail system if this conversion can be done and the pros and cons.

The points:

1 - need a ECU mod??
2 - need a Ignition Control Module (ICM)? and... if yes need to mode a wires to work?
3 - need Camshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft synchronizer to replace the distributor? How I wire this one?
4 - obvious I need a coil rail or a Viper coil...

At last, you I'll question me about this change.. Why?

So, at my knowledge (please correct me if wrong) the missfire system has more tolerancy to water (distributor has problem with some water...) and the "one coil per sparkplug" system increase more power (a little maybe) in sparks to engine. Its true?

If you can help to clarify these points to me I'll tankfully... We have little docs about XJ in brazil and almost ZERO documments in portuguese to explain more about this transitions, please help!

thank you my friends :cheers:

For it to work, you'd need to change the loom and the PCM along with adding coil packs and replace the distributor with a position sensor.

I don't believe you see much of a performance gain if any.

Unless I am mistaken, there are 3 coils, not 6.
1 coil fires 2 plugs at the same time.

Sounds like more time and expense than it's worth.

FWIW:
Sealing the distributor will only cause ozone buildup and tracking. There is a vent on the top of the cap and small gaps on the bottom for a reason. The only time I have seen a 4.0L quit in the water is when the airbox go under.

Jeep didn't do the coil packs for dependability in water crossings, they did it because some beancounter found it was cheaper than having a distributor and the maintenance issues with caps and rotors that go with it.

-Ron

having had both I prefer working on the distributor type system when it comes to simple stuff like plug changes. Wrangling that coil rail out of my 00 was always a pain in the ass. You won't see any real performance increase. This is basically a tractor engine when you get down to it.

I'd put the money and effort you'd spend on this into something more effective. A homemade cowl intake or homemade lift or something like that.

Mine is a 98. I changed the rotor cap, put msd wires and new sparks. Since then I have not had problems with missfires and have seen a good amount of water.

having had both I prefer working on the distributor type system when it comes to simple stuff like plug changes.

this.

if it's really a problem you come across often just carry a spare cap and rotor.

I'd not trade a distributor for the coil on plug, ever.

I would be interested in converting to the Viper coil as well, though I can't come up with a compelling reason. The distributor has been problem-free for me - all I've ever done was replace the cap & rotor.
I guess it would just be for "cool points"

I would be interested in converting to the Viper coil as well, though I can't come up with a compelling reason. The distributor has been problem-free for me - all I've ever done was replace the cap & rotor.
I guess it would just be for "cool points"

to do the viper coil you'd need a COP ECU and associated wiring/sensor.

the viper coil is essentially the exact unit as the coil rail, just in a brick form.

thank you all for clarify this to me...

Yes I guess a bad idea to change system, the brazilian 2000 XJ still in distributor system, and I leave as is... to Seal this cap you made whaterproof system or something else? what a usualy you in america do?

this vent in the cap, maybe a good idea use a long tube up the vent line? like a axles, the vent (in my brazilian xj are default) this axle vents are all up to the firewall almost in the hood... maybe?

thank you all again!

Back