• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 head on '00 block?

brtb

NAXJA Forum User
yes, still fighting the leaky 2000 engine problem. Machine shop guy said the head magnafluxed fine, and remilled the surface for me, but i got it all back together and it's still got a exhaust<->water<->oil leak somewhere. Only thing I can think of is that maybe there was a crack behind one of the exhaust valves, since I didn't have the valves out when he checked.

Does the 0630 (97-99?) head have the same mounting bolt holes for everything that the 0331 ('00+) does? Only major difference in stuff-attached-to-the-head I can think of is the 4 bolts for the ignition coil bar...

Last edited:
A 99 0630 casting head should work just fine with your block.. I have a 00 block and am planning on using a 91-95 head on it.. casting 7120....

Of course as you mentioned you will need to fabricate something to hold the coil pack rail in place as the older style heads do not have mounting holes for the coilpack..

A list member here on NAXJA has a rather slick and lowcost approach of taking care of this that I am planning on also using.. He is using a few strips of stainless steel mounted to the bolts that hold the valve cover on to bolt the coil pack onto.

Tayln is the NAXJA member who has done this.. He also had some issues using the 00 exhaust manifold with the older style head since the exhaust ports are slightly different.

Below is a link to his pics.. take a look at page 4 and 5 for pics on how he mounted the coil pack rail

http://community.webshots.com/album/436776566ThadaV

I think he has some pics with the 0331 casting head and the 6030 or a similar 7120 next to each other so you can see the port size difference but I can't seem to locate them.. Maybe they were on the JU site..

Anyways this should be a good start to finding out what you are going to do. I suggest doing some searches on this site for the old threads and maybe look at the JeepsUnlimited site as well.

George Trilikis
00XJ

Back