• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabrication suggestion needed

Cesar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I want to start learning to fabricate parts for my XJ, I allready have various air tools (grinder, cut-off wheel etc.) and I bought a MIG welder. I dont know what to buy to actually cut the metal. I want to start doing brackets (nothing critical yet). What do you guys usually use to cut 1/4 inch steel plates to make stuff? plasma? bandsaw? torch??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Cesar

Cesar said:
What do you guys usually use to cut 1/4 inch steel plates to make stuff? plasma? bandsaw? torch??
Thanks Cesar

Yes,yes,and yes!Dont forget the chop saw,Sawsall,and hacksaw!!

Plasma cutter is ideal, but $$$. band saw would be my next choice, but mine is broke and super old. I'm having trouble finding metal blades for it.

I use an angle grinder with good cut-off wheels to go through everything. I work with 1/4" mostly. I find the NORTON brand to be the best..you can get them at home depot. dewalt cut-off wheels suck in my opinion, which are at lowes. However, they are about 2 bucks a pop, and start adding up very quickly. The trick is to skim the metal with the wheel and take your time, not try to blow through it in one swoop. They last 10x longer this way.

_nicko_

Well I guess I will try it with the angle grinder, and maybe go for a band saw. I dont have a spare 1k for a plasma.

Thanks!

buy a chop saw, tube bender, notcher, plasma, and a bench grinder.

Watch guys like "Dirt Lifestyle" on Youtube. I think he has a video on tools you need for metal fabrication. Plus, I think he does some pretty cool projects and does a great job filming it all. I learn by watching others.

This is a 16yr old thread with the op's last visit 14yrs ago!

I use a chop saw to cut the length of things and for cutting shapes in steel I use an angle grinder. I have done a fair amount of tube work using just an angle grinder I don’t own a whole saw. I have built rear bumper with swing out gate, rock sliders, frame stiffners out of 1 3/4 inch tube and additions to my roll cage all using these tools.

I'd suggest a 5" grinder. Ive found they tend to run smoother for longer. They also can fit 6" suicide wheels without the gaurd. You'll soon find out why they are suicide wheels.

Good grinders shit ton of cutting wheels one or two grinding wheels and lots of flap disc to shape chamfer and smooth.

I rarely use a thick grinding wheel. If I am its usually cause I realy screwed up and I'm fight to get what I just welded together apart.

I'd wouldn't run out put a ton of money in band saws and other stuff till you get going figure out what you can and can't do with the grinder. Then decide what additional tools or if any are needed or wanted to get you to where you want to go.

Safety stuff. Eye protection is key fingers arms feet you can do without out. Never ever tough a grinder without eye protection

Safety glasses/sheild
Welding hood
Gloves
Ear protection
Fire extinguisher

Also some c clamps maybe cheap vice. Framers square 6 and 12" 4ft level 2foot level 6" level angle finder
Get some good and cheap magnetic squares

Sharpies, soap stone, scribe, punch drill drill bits.

As you see you will never stop acquiring stuff for fab work.

Safety first and the willingness to learn and become better with each thing we do. Perfect is unattainable there is only better

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Get some filters or a respirator to wear under that welding hood.........the fumes will make you sick at best, kill you at worst....

My plasma cutter was 600 on ebay.....been working great for 15 yrs.....

Word has it that the OP went with a hack saw and is still sawing that piece of metal!

At this point we should all chip in and buy him a new blade.

Back