• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery load

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i'm installing some lights, got a pair reverse under the bumper, (only come on in reverse) pair fog lights under the front bumper, pair on the bumper and two pairs on the roof , how bad is this going to kill my battery in my 98?

Take your wattage(of what you would likely run at the same time) divide by 12,that will give you your amperage.From there it will depend on your battery and alternator ratings!

Last edited:
I had 4 hella 500's with a 100w bulb in each instead of the normal 55w. I could turn them on and watch my battery gauge drop a few volts. But the alt would catch back up after a while. I also have an amp that drives 2 speakers and a sub

userbmx1315 said:
i'm installing some lights, got a pair reverse under the bumper, (only come on in reverse) pair fog lights under the front bumper, pair on the bumper and two pairs on the roof , how bad is this going to kill my battery in my 98?
Just make sure you run them through a relay, you should be alright then. The HO alternators are already rated for what is it...138A?

90PioSport99 said:
Just make sure you run them through a relay, you should be alright then. The HO alternators are already rated for what is it...138A?

Depends on year and options, but typically 90-117A. The 138A was rare in XJs, more common in the ZJ/WJ and Durango (and Ram pickup, and ...)

they are thru relays, i made the same set up as fitchva, i'm going to change 2 pairs to 100 watts, i think i got some 130s in the building tho,

its a 98, but i dont know what amp the alt is

userbmx1315 said:

Nothing to worry about, just run them and don't think about it. A bad battery is a bad battery, as is a good battery. If the alternator and battery are good you won't have any issues.

Back