• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help I installed a RE 3.5" Lift with rear spring packs now I have vibrations

Augidogi

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a RE 3.5 Kit on my 89 XJ with a manual 5 speed transmission. I have vibration problems on my rear drive shaft. I replace both ujoints on the rear shaft. The drive shaft vibrates when I accelerate from 20 to 30 mph but no vibrations at hight speeds on the highway. I drove the XJ over 600 miles since installing the RE 3.5 " kit.

I calculated that the angel of the drive shaft changed about 6 degrees because of the installed 3.5" lift. (This is the angle from horizontal at the rear end up to the transmission. The current angle is approximately 18 degrees up from horizontal. The stock angle was about 12 degrees.) I have heard that adding shims to the rear axcle to tilt the axcle up may eleminate the vibrations. I have heard that I should lower the Transfer case crossmember 1" with another kit. Will adding 6 degree shims under the spring pack align the rear drive shaft like it was without the lift?

Has anyone installed RE 3.5" Superflex kit with the new rear leaf springs pack on their XJ? Did you have any problems with front or rear drive shaft vibrations? What did you do to fix your problems?

I also want to get larger tires. What is the largest size tire I can mount on my stock rims? If I want to put 31 x 10.5 tires on the XJ, what width of rims should I purchase? What offset should the rims have? What do you measure on the rim and how do you measure it to make sure you are going to end up with a wheel and tire that fits like a stock rim and the tires don't stick out on the side of the XJ?

This vehicle is my daily driver.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

:rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I had vibes at about the same speeds on my '97 after I installed Rusty's 3". Common problem, no big deal. I dropped the t-case 1" and the vibes went away. Start with that.

Just buy two pieces of 1" square tubing of appropriate length from the local metal fab shop, drill a couple holes in each, spray'um black get longer bolts and your done.

You can mount 31's on your stock rims.

Pete

-------------
'97 Red XJ, Rusty's 3", 31x10.5 A/T's, Stay tuned....

Back