NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 17th, 2007, 04:55
Twisted Up

Re: 2000 XJ with 122K...Is it prone to head problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1
I think there was a mid year switch in 99 to the smaller exhaust ports. Do either of these 99 have the distributorless ignition?
Tom
Mine does not either. I have a pretty late build date for a 99 model year (9/99)
-'17 Ruby Red F150 Lariat. Tow rig and occasional DD
Old August 22nd, 2007, 13:22
NAXJA Forum User

Head cracked between 3 and 4. It was visible with the naked eye. The inspector was out and looked it over. I had the garage pull the main bearings as well to show him that the leak was done damage to the bearings as well. Right now the warranty company is checking it's part vendors for a remanufactured motor. The garage I deal with wants to use a Jasper. I want a Jasper. I don't want a salvaged motor because it will probably have a 0331 head.

Is there a number to file a complaint with DC?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 13:45
NAXJA Forum User

Well, add me to the list. Just saw the bubbling coolant on my head this morning. '00 with 143K Km's (89.5K miles)
If I can get a head and manifold I should be good to use one from a 91-99 as long as the earlier heads are HO right (7120's)? At least this is what I've surmised after a good search of the site (I should be able to ues the 7120 and 0630 castings). I just wanted to be sure.
I can change the exhasut no problem as in Canada we only had the one cat with an O2 sensor before and after ... nothing on the factory manifolds or downtubes so I plan to adapt. Reason I'm asking is I know of someone who just rolled a '91 jeep waiting to see if it's an HO 4.0L.
Thanks

Last edited by Devilfrog; August 22nd, 2007 at 13:51.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 13:52
NAXJA Forum User

The head should swap from a 91. I'd keep the intake manifold from the '00. There are two problems to be aware of. Firts, there is a temp sensor on the driver side on the 91-95 heads. You need to plug it. The 91-95 heads don't have dowel pin holes for positioning of the head. You will need to align the head visually by the bolt holes.
Tom
Old August 22nd, 2007, 13:58
NAXJA Forum User

thanks for that, I'll use locating studs at 4 points then.
Old August 24th, 2007, 16:43
NAXJA Forum User

anyone know at what point in production the 0331 head was introduced? Only 2000 model year into 2001, or as early as 1999? is there a way to find out whether or not an XJ has the head from the factory, given the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)? I want to go look at a '99 but the car is parked at one of those lots where you park it and the keys are held at the lot - the dickhead that works there won't go look under the hood to check the stamping # and it's an hour away so i don't want to waste time and gas going down there to check myself. if it's got the 0630 i'd go down and check it out, ya know whattimean?
Old August 24th, 2007, 22:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno
It's an odds-on bet that your head has cracked in the commonest place; between the no.3 and 4 cylinders. The crack may only be on the top between the crankcase and the water jacket but the head is most likely still to be junk. A little steam from the exhaust on a cold damp day when the engine's cold is normal, but steam appearing when the engine's hot definitely isn't.
What year is your XJ and how many miles on the engine? The 2000 model seems to be the worst affected by the head cracking issue.
What about steam inside the crankcase?

If I remove the oil filler cap while the engine is hot I get a bit of steam from the inside. Or heat steam......whatever.

I have a 95......
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:59
NAXJA Forum User

2000 with 172K... and no cooling problems - did go to a lower temp thermostat 4 months ago and that is working nicely...
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6
anyone know at what point in production the 0331 head was introduced? Only 2000 model year into 2001, or as early as 1999? is there a way to find out whether or not an XJ has the head from the factory, given the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)? I want to go look at a '99 but the car is parked at one of those lots where you park it and the keys are held at the lot - the dickhead that works there won't go look under the hood to check the stamping # and it's an hour away so i don't want to waste time and gas going down there to check myself. if it's got the 0630 i'd go down and check it out, ya know whattimean?
I think if you look at this thread, two people replied till September the XJ used the 0630 head. Might check that date against the vin number. Also, the latter head would have the distributorless ignition.
Tom
Old August 25th, 2007, 20:50
NAXJA Forum User

well i have the VIN but i don't have the build date. the person that listed their build date of 9/99 didn't list their VIN so i can't estimate what the build date of the car i am interested in without a reference. i also don't know what build date (mo/year) would be the last for the '99 model year - on my '71 Triumph TR6 and my '67 VW the model year starts in september and ends in august as i recall. seems like that's changed in modern/recent times, shifted a month or two forward since then. guess i'll just do the one hour drive down to san jose and look under the hood myself for the magic number.
Old August 19th, 2009, 17:31
NAXJA Forum User

I'm pretty sure I got duesched by the 0331 too, Just noticed this past month when I started daily driving my 2001 XJ and coolant was mysteriously dissapearing after I changed the radiator/thermostat. What do you guys think about using a new 0331 w/ a 5 year warranty?? B/c i found a shop w/ brand new reman'd for a decent price?? Or should I just keep searching til I can get a decent 0630...
Old August 19th, 2009, 21:31
NAXJA Forum User

I got one of the 0630,s for $50, but a newer 0331 from a 2005 or newer casting date should be good too.
Old December 19th, 2017, 07:28
NAXJA Forum User

In case it serves to someone, I got one used 0630 head here.
Old December 21st, 2017, 17:08
NAXJA Forum User

My 2001 Limited's head went at 114K miles. I bought it new, with the towing package. Several years ago the plastic endcaps on my radiator starting leaking, in December, in Buffalo. I bought what I thought was the same heavy duty radiator my Jeep originally had. I didn't. I also ordered it just before Christmas, meaning it would take a while before it arrived. In the meantime I needed my Jeep, so I JB Weld'd the endcaps. This worked so well I decided not to replace my radiator until it failed. It did, in December, in Buffalo. When changing radiators I noticed the new one was noticeably thinner, maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch. It was not the same as my heavy duty radiator. Since I bought it almost a year ago I couldn't take it back. I put in in. All was well until summertime. My Jeep never overheated, but if I shut it down, and then restarted it a few minutes later, it would register about 5 or even 10 degrees hotter than the 215 degree 12 o'clock position. My Jeep had never done this, even in 7 years of Arizona summers. I was going to replace the radiator, and had even bought the towing package radiator, but I was going to wait until springtime. I should not have done that. My head cracked. In December, in Buffalo. The only good thing is that I knew about the head's prone to cracking from and other websites (Thanks). When my coolant went empty and the Jeep overheated, I refilled it with distilled water. When that went I knew I had a cracked head and parked my Jeep. The oil looked good; no milk at all. A new head from Summit (I think it's the Clearwater head) and the heavy duty radiator made my XJ run like new. The new head has a lot more metal on the topside between valve guides.
The moral of the story is don't trust the original 0331 head, even rebuilt. Them suckers crack, and always at the worst time!
On the plus side: before the change my XJ had a slight tappet knock when cold. Not anymore. It runs great. The engine sounds sweet. I had also drained the tranny fluid from the pain. When refilling I had to put 5 quarts in the tranny! For the last two quarts, I went to the store twice, buying one quart each time, because I knew there was no way it could take that much fluid. I think the thicker radiator holds more tranny fluid. If you want to upgrade your radiator, the towing package one is a good one, except for the plastic ends.

Last edited by TommyD; December 21st, 2017 at 17:12.