NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 15th, 2017, 07:40
NAXJA Forum User

Turn signal issues switch or flasher?

Of course I searched, but didn't find anyone with this issue specifically with a jeep that may share the same parts as my 99 xj. For a couple weeks, my turn signals have been acting up. They switch on and off fine and all bulbs work, but after sitting at a stop light for maybe 5-10 seconds, they turn off by themselves(left and right do this). I flip the switch back up and back down to turn it back on, and repeat. This can happen up to 3 or 4 times at a longer light. So I'm wondering if it's the actual switch or the flasher unit itself. Something else I noticed probably over the past year is that when using the left signal, the switch sometimes feels a little "crunchy" is the best way to describe it. When pushing it down to turn it on, it seems like (only sometimes though), there are too many clicks...not a smooth switch motion. If it wasn't for the mechanical switch stuff going on, I'd say almost 100% it's turning off because of the flasher unit, but I don't want to start throwing parts at it if anyone can help pinpoint it with the info I provided. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old December 15th, 2017, 07:51
NAXJA Member

Re: Turn signal issues switch or flasher?

My 99 would quit working or get erratic signals.the flasher would aslo buzz sometimes. Cycling the switch sometimes made them work again. I ordered one off Amazon for like $10, problem solved. I get lazy sometimes and felt like throwing a $10 part at is was ok with me.
Old December 15th, 2017, 07:53
NAXJA Member

a new flasher is cheap and easy and they do wear out -- change it
Old December 15th, 2017, 08:53
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks guys! Yeah, I figured it was likely the flasher so I'll prob just throw one in it. Is there just one or is there a separate for the hazard lights? I checked on amazon the other day but couldn't find a clear answer as to what might fit but I think it's just a cheap relay. It's always irritating to see on amazon for about $8 then check local and they want 15-20. If I could find local for about 10 it would already be swapped out.

NEVERMIND the hazard thing...I see it listed as taking care of both so there is just 1.

Last edited by gba88; December 15th, 2017 at 08:56.
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:01
NAXJA Forum User

in the renix era there are 2 and i think maybe up until 96. as far as i could tell on the ones with 2 you could swap them around.
Old December 15th, 2017, 19:10
NAXJA Forum User

Every issue I have ever had with a light on my xj was the actual mount for the bulb. (the bit the bulb slots into.)
Cut them off and replace them with new ones.
hope this helps
Old December 17th, 2017, 08:00
NAXJA Member

1 flasher does both functions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0031...f=yo_pop_mb_pd