• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel studs - R&R

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at the wheel studs - lug bolts - on my project MJ. They're pretty nasty looking and I want to replace them. I can figure that putting new ones in is fairly easy (with a socket and a nut) but how can I easily take them OUT without banging on my 1988 hubs, don't wanna crack nothin'.

Any suggestions?? Would heating them and tapping, not whailing, on them do the job? Is there an EASY way to press them out??

Well, that tool might do it. I'll have to see if autoZone rents that baby. I'm still a bit wary of beating on the axle. I may give it a shot this aft. Thanks

Anybody else??

I'd probably end up making a tool for it... sheet of quarter inch plate, a good heavy nut+grade8 bolt, and some drill press + tap time should do it. That tool is nearly as expensive as a whole used d30 around here, and more expensive than a pair of shafts/hubs, so I'd think twice about buying it personally.

It's got a "special tool" part number and price, but it looks just like the cheap parts store presses. OEM 27175 from AZ's loaner page, I think.

socket and c-clamp if there is room.

ive got a hub sitting nxt to my monitor right now and there is room, but not sure if there would be room with it connected to the axle.

I think there probably is room for that...at least in one corner. and then it can be rotated for each stud.

That sounds like it'll work to me. I will post it back up in any case. Looks like I found my project for tomorrow.

I've changed single studs on other cars by leaving the wheel/tire bolted onto all but the stud you are hammering on. That way you are hammering against the mass of the whole wheel/tire not just the axle. You'll probably have to use a punch to reach the stud, and it might take longer tho since you want to replace all them. Removing and replacing the wheel constantly can take some time. I'd also use spare tire if you've got one.

Back