• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mishimoto radiator for XJ?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
So I noticed today that there is a new OEM replacement radiator for the XJ being made by Mishimoto. Has anyone ever used one of their radiators that can attest to quality?

http://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-cherokee-4-0l-replacement-rad-91-01.html

The one thing that seems really odd is that the transmission cooler fittings appear to be on the wrong side..

166833-add1-lg.jpg

Also.. off the web site

Note
Works with both automatic and manual transmissions on right-hand drive Jeeps.

*If Jeep is left-hand drive, only works with manual transmissions.

As for quality, I've only ever used their all aluminum radiators. I've had them in my road-racing car, and a track-day Miata street car. The quality was fine; I had no failures. But, none of those radiators I used had the plastic end tanks.

Also.. off the web site

Note

+1

The one pictured is for a right hand drive Jeep. As for radiators, I love my CSF 3 row rad so far. I towed a trailer all day yesterday and the highest my temp got was 209* according to my scan gauge II.

I've seen them on Amazon($188.50 and free Prime shipping), but have not seen one in person. Their XJ radiator hasn't been reviewed there, but their other radiators get high reviews. Most of those are all aluminum unlike this one with plastic tanks.

Hey guys,

Figured we should chime in here to answer any questions about our replacement radiators.

Also.. off the web site

Note

This fitment is correct. This radiator is applicable for manual LHD models and both automatic and manual RHD vehicles.

As for quality, I've only ever used their all aluminum radiators. I've had them in my road-racing car, and a track-day Miata street car. The quality was fine; I had no failures. But, none of those radiators I used had the plastic end tanks.

I've seen them on Amazon($188.50 and free Prime shipping), but have not seen one in person. Their XJ radiator hasn't been reviewed there, but their other radiators get high reviews. Most of those are all aluminum unlike this one with plastic tanks.

Thanks guys! We are very well known for our performance aluminum radiators. Our plastic end-tank units provide a more economical replacement unit while still offering our lifetime warranty.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Hey guys,
Figured we should chime in here to answer any questions about our replacement radiators.

This fitment is correct. This radiator is applicable for manual LHD models and both automatic and manual RHD vehicles.
Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Drat! I know this is an old post but I sure hope Mishimoto can answer the fitment issue; I bought this two days ago - it will arrive today- for my 1995 Jeep Cherkoee Country 4.0l HO with an AUTOMATIC. Why will this not fit the automatics? I have a leak in my stock radiator and was going to install this R2340 today but small print ( these details were not on Amazon where I ordered it from) at your website does state it wont fit auto tranny LHDs. What is the limitation and is there something I can do to adapt it for my LHD automatic? THANKS!

Look at the very first post and the picture. The transmission fittings are on the wrong side of the radiator.

Perhaps if you add an aftermarket transmission cooler and forget about trying to use the one built into the radiator you might have a solution. You are going to need to find a path to route the cooler lines up to in front of the radiator support panel though.

Except that it has the trans cooler in the HOT tank...

FAIL

Not sure it would matter that much. First, heat transfer should normalize it somewhat and when you're driving down the road and thermostat is closed then all of the coolant in the radiator is going to be cool (relative). As far as that goes, it would be the hot side for RHD vehicles, and they didn't bother flipping the hot upper hose to accommodate, so it must be acceptable temperature for warranty purposes. Also, my old Cadillac has cooler fittings on both sides--the engine oil cooler is on the "hot" side and trans cooler is on the "cold" side--and they wouldn't spend money on the parts and engineering if it weren't useful. All told, maybe not as effective when idling at a light and thermostat opens fully, or beating on a trail and running everything at full temperautre, but should still work fine when driving down the road.

Last edited:
Not sure it would matter that much. First, heat transfer should normalize it somewhat and when you're driving down the road and thermostat is closed then all of the coolant in the radiator is going to be cool (relative).

That is probably in the top 10 most ridiculous things ever posted on NAXJA. The thermostat will not be closed while driving. The "hot" tank will be significantly hotter than the cold tank all the time while driving.

That is probably in the top 10 most ridiculous things ever posted on NAXJA. The thermostat will not be closed while driving. The "hot" tank will be significantly hotter than the cold tank all the time while driving.

If you think your thermostat is mostly open while driving down the highway, remove it and post back here with your running temp

Heat transfer from the coolant in the radiator normalizes within a few degrees. All those RHD drive cherocars with trans coolers on the "hot" side wouldn't work otherwise

Look at the very first post and the picture. The transmission fittings are on the wrong side of the radiator.

Perhaps if you add an aftermarket transmission cooler and forget about trying to use the one built into the radiator you might have a solution. You are going to need to find a path to route the cooler lines up to in front of the radiator support panel though.

First, I just appreciate you guys replying! I changed the hoses this past Sunday after which i noticed the pssgr-side tank had a pin-hole innit. I jumped ( too) quickly online, saw the Mish radiator on Amazon and expedited it to arrive today( I am going across country on Sunday <not in the XJ> so wanted this fixed before I left town and wife had to keep filling radiator and overflow every time she drove) ; reading small print this morning in anticipationof changing the thing out this eve, I saw that fine print that" wont work on LHD Automatics" info and was angry I didnt buy a OEM / Mopar exact fit.
and...the Brown Santa just rang the door bell and left this worthless, overly expensive Mishimoto radiator on my porch.As I type this....heh
54hpmiC.jpg

great.
I have two other Jeeps , one which I have run a custom B&M cooler to and really don't wanna get into that altho' it is normally where I would go if this happened to not be sort of urgent. What radiator would you guys sggst from Advance Auto or AutoZone or Napa ? Whatever they have listed as OEM repalcement for this fav jeep of the family? I don't mean Mishimoto is less than awesome. Amazon should have the "LHD Manual only" stipulated in details on their page for these, to be sure.
Any suggestion for purchase is appreciated.

Last edited:
Unless you are on a really tight budget, go for a Mopar HD radiator. They can be found here and there on the internet.

Except that it has the trans cooler in the HOT tank...

FAIL

Not sure it would matter that much........................

..........................All those RHD drive cherocars with trans coolers on the "hot" side wouldn't work otherwise

RHD XJs have the useless little, factory towing option, tranny cooler - fitted as standard,

... no doubt to make up for - sticking the heat exchanger in the hot side of the rad.

As for the OPs issues ... I'd bypass the rad fittings and bang a proper, tranny oil cooler in the vehicle.

thanks for the reply, carves; I , too, would do that if time were not of the essence; this old girl ( the XJ) is approaching 400k original miles and as such is limited to around-town forays and kid running. I have had great performance out of stock everything ( up until the recent lift and wheel/tire upgrade) so I am gonna find a stock radiator replacement from Omix-Ada or something and fix once I am home week after next. The JKUr is my trail rig and it has aux coolers and all the towing upgrades to it's cooling. Appreciate the input....

spectra seems to be the best of the plastic tanked cheapies.

if you're looking for a quick $100 fix.

as a temporary "hold-out' for a week, is it utterly out of the realm of possibility to jbweld or try something similar to patch the tiny hole near the upper hose intake so the wife doesn't have to fill the radiator over and again? This would only be for five days ....I doubt anything will hold the pressure but I simply won't have time before departing on Sunday now that I have to send the Mishimoto back. I won't use any internal radiator leak plug stuff as that stuff doesn't work. Epoxy putty , maybe? why does stuff have to happen when most inconvenient? Ugh....

Back