• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No crank no start

What's the output voltage when running above idle speed(w/ a good voltmeter)?

correction, i did not read clear enough. I have not measured with higher than idle. are you thinking an alternator isssue?

Ill be happy to get a reading if i can only get this thing started again.

.hesitated starting before work
. wont now start after work
. 11.38V to starter small wire while holding key on to start
.12.4V to starter big wire
. i can hear the relay click, and what i presume is the solenoid click. No spinning or tak tak tak noises, ive read this indicates the NSS is getting ground or i wouldnt hear the relay click. i tried swapping the fan relay just for the heck of it and no change.
. doesnt start in park nor neutral, nor will it if i wiggle the lever in either position
. door alarm wont sound unless i hold the key in ( odd and new)
. with the blower motor and radio on, they shut off when trying to start, as ive read this usually indicates the ignition switch is good.
. rear driver side ground fire wall to block looks to be in sound condition minus oily grit
. battery cables are solid, secure, no corrosion, wires to starter look clean and unbroken as do the wires to the alternator.
. the starter does have a good amount of oil on it which ive read is a common solenoid killer, ive had it tested good twice earlier in the week and im going to get it tested again today. I dont understand, If i hear the relay click, and what i assume is the solenoid click, is there something im overlooking for this thing starting.

at this point im lost

Last edited:
Did you ever have the alternator load tested(amperage)? That could cause your original battery issue!

Starter too. Bench testing a starter really is worthless since there's no load on it. There could be one bad spot in it that they'll never pick up. If you have good voltage to both terminals on the starter and a good ground then you need a starter.

Starter too. Bench testing a starter really is worthless since there's no load on it. There could be one bad spot in it that they'll never pick up. If you have good voltage to both terminals on the starter and a good ground then you need a starter.

Third starter test, it passed, But we ran it twice because we saw smoke. I'm thinking she's toast. The bench top test I had to tap the starter to engage and I tried two batteries.

I assume load test must be done in the vehicle, or where else? I do not have an amperage meter for load tests.

Last edited:
Back