• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift gate lifts brands?

Any continued problems with the ball studs bending or the arms staying on the studs?

I bent the old ones trying to pop / force :nono: the old arms off, before I discovered the clips that held them on.:twak:

New ones worked fine, no problems since then. But those tail gates are supper heavy with both arms off, or one dead arm still on. Takes two people, a helper to hold the gate up that is not weak kneed:laugh3:, while you install the lift(s), LOL.

The new ones come with new clips that fit the lifts.

Thanks. I'll give the Strong Arms a try. I know how heavy that tailgate is, lol. I muscle the install of the struts by myself. I suspect that only one of the Monroes have failed and the other is likely still good, but is not enough by itself to hold the lift gate up.

I have found the last 3 times that changing just one got it working OK as well. But I usually tackle the problem before they are both totally dead. I never heard anyone here complain about the strong arms. But even they do not last forever. But looking at my records I am getting 5-7 years out of them on average it seems. I bought 6 extra spares on Amazon last year dirt cheap delivered free. We have 7 jeeps now LOL. One is totaled ( I need to salvage the engine, etc), one is a Liberty, the others are 85-89s.

Just a follow up. I got the Strong Arms installed. As I suspected, one of the Monroes had blown its seals and had no pressure remaining. The other seamed fine and I kept it as a spare. Hopefully, I won't need it for another 5-7 years.

I would keep one of the strong arms as the spare, and use the good Monroe till it dies. Reason? I think they have a shelf life for the charge!!! I think it slowly leaks over the years.

Just a follow up. I got the Strong Arms installed. As I suspected, one of the Monroes had blown its seals and had no pressure remaining. The other seamed fine and I kept it as a spare. Hopefully, I won't need it for another 5-7 years.

Back