• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mirror to glass. Seriously, WHY is it hard?

A buddy of mine used loctite 312 and loctite 736 when installing radar trancievers in police cars. They were affixed to the glass in the same manner as the rearview. (Read: metal wedges) he told stories of chaos when removing said wedges.

I've discovered that the DIY kits sold today are useless wastes of time and money. I wish that bean counters would quit controlling the world and let the quality come back.

You said a mouthful in that last bit there. I really do think that is the problem.

However, using the JB Clearweld seems to be the cat's ass. I even smacked the mirror around a bit today without any issue whatsoever.

Just an FYI :

Cleaning with acetone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, etc will leave a residue on the cleaned surfaces.

Only denatured alcohol will leave a residue free cleaned surface.

Great point !!!

Yes, but as I've pointed out repeatedly, I used the solvent called for in each adhesives directions. That's what I meant by 'followed the directions implicitly'.

You will never convince me that the adhesives purpose made for this job are anything near what they used to be. I've been driving for 32 years. I've replaced many mirrors over the years (girlfriend's cars, friends cars, my own cars. Many over the years.) I've NEVER had a problem until the last 3 years or so.

Quite possibly, the EPA has gotten their fingers in the game and forked it up. They certainly screwed the pooch in the gas can arena. I've never spilled so much fuel as I have since trying these new overcomplicated abortion jobs they require be sold now.

Luckily, the solution there was a jiggler siphon.

The solution here is epoxy. Namely, JB Clearweld. Credit where it is due.

Quite possibly, the EPA has gotten their fingers in the game and forked it up. They certainly screwed the pooch in the gas can arena. I've never spilled so much fuel as I have since trying these new overcomplicated abortion jobs they require be sold now.
Makes you question the safe part in safety can doesnt it?

Back