• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil mistake

ok I screwed up in my hurry to change my oil i cros threaded my plug back in. Is their anything I can do without lifiting the engine, pulling the pan, and tapping.
Alot of RTV sealant :dunno:.....You should look at just re-tapping it, plus then you can see what kind of fun surprise you have floating around in your oil.

For a temporary fix you can also get a rubber expanding drain plug at your local auto parts store.

Been there done that. If you are able to get the plug out drain the oil. Take you magnetic pick-up tool and remove the metal shavings. Go and get a self tapping drain plug with the magnet built in it. Install the plug and don't worry about it. If you are still nervous get a strong magnet for your oil filter.

I'm sure the auto parts store has the rubber expanding plugs. The quickie oil change places use 'em all the time when they screw up. They just don't tell you. If it's not leaking now, wait until your next oil change. (During the summer.)

I'm sure you realize now to always start threads by hand until you get it in at least 3 or 4 turns.

Yes, the local oil change place did that to my grand mother's car. "It stripped when I put it back in"

I don't things just strip, especially if they just threaded out fine.......

Back