• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeepspeed idea under consideration for 2015

Jeepspeedchief

NAXJA Forum User
Currently Jeepspeed has two classes.

Class 1700. Jeepspeed Challenge for 4.0 liter 6 cylinder short wheel base production based Jeeps with 10" front suspension travel and 12" rear travel and max. tire dia. 33"
Class 3700. Jeepspeed Cup for Jeeps and Dodge trucks with longer wheelbase and major modifications, 15" front wheel travel, unlimited rear wheel travel, and 37" max. tire dia.

Today the progression from Class 1700 to 3700 is a major leap probably needing construction of a completely new race vehicle.

Jeepspeed is exploring the possibilty of an intermediate class where a 1700 Jeep could be modified, or a new race vehicle constructed, with a more affordable budget. This intermediate class would address the inclusion of 116' wb four door Wranglers, lwb Comanche trucks, V8 engines in 1700 Grand Cherokee type Jeeps and modifying leaf sprung Jeeps to coils.

Proposed - not definite- intermediate class rules.
- Vehicles must conform to basic Class 3700 rules for vehicle models and dimensions.
- Wheel travel limited to 12 " and 14" rear.
- One shock per wheel. Max 3.5" dia. Bypass or smooth body.
- Max tire dia 35"
- Steering as per Class 1700 4.1.3.10 Original type steering box or rack and pinion must be used but may be modified and must be mounted in stock location using the stock mounting holes; however the mounting area may be strengthened by adding material. Steering quickener box may be added and steering shaft modified or replaced as necessary. Steering components (tie rods, tie rod ends, pitman arm, track bars etc.) are open. The steering system must remain stock concept OF tie rod and drag link (i.e. no remote steering, bell cranks, etc.). Power steering pump and reservoir is open, and fluid coolers and filters may be installed. I.F.S. models must use stock rack and pinion steering. King pin steering is notpermitted on straight axles
- Engine must be production model Jeep or Dodge SUV or truck excluding SRT variants.
- Fuel injection must be as delivered with that engine including original intake manifold and throttle body which may be port sized and polished.
- Approved aftermarket ECU and ignition systems allowed with a retail price under $2900 as per Class 1700 rule 4.1.5.6.
- No forced induction permitted unless on original Dodge or Jeep deisel engines
- Transmissions and transfer cases must be production Jeep or Dodge truck or SUV.
- Vehicles over 117" showroom wb that originally came with leaf springs must retain leaf spring. e.g. Full size Dodge trucks
- Vehicles under 117" showroom wb may convert leaf springs to coils e.g Cherokee XJ.
- Front coil over shock aftermarket kits permitted. Rear coil over shock kits only permitted on vehicles with wb 116" or under. Must use coil over kits from Jeepspeed approved vendors.
- Front and rear suspension must be same basic design and concept as originally produced and installed on the chassis to which it is mounted.
- Body rules as per Class 3700 but driver and front passenger doors must be operational.
- Chassis. Stock frame ( or unibody frame section) must be retained but may be notched 8" at front of frame for ground or component clearance as long as the top plane of the frame remains intact. Stock frame must retain stock longitudal dimension.

Championship points details.
- All 3700 and 3750 vehicles will race heads up for money and points. New numbers may be required with some existing team.
- BITD will treat this as one class and issue results and points.
- The leading 3750 team will receive bonus cash award and trophy at each event and year end.

I was thinking there needed to be a class in between 1700 and 3700, so i like it.
As far as production engines go, can they be modified (ie stroked, cammed, port and polished heads, valvetrain work, compression work, etc)? If not, do the motors get tagged like in class 10?

We try to write rules that are easy to enforce. So as long as it came in a production Jeep/Dodge and under 6.0 liters it is good to go. No dry sumps or forced induction. Do what you like but use pump gas. Already Mike Shaffer is building a hemi powered ZJ and T&J is building a 5.9 Ram 1500 short bed 4x4. We feel confident this will take off in 2015.

I like it but am curious... how do Comanches work into this? The short wheel base can have coils but the long wheel base can't, if I understand correctly? That's assuming Comanches are allowed at all I guess. I know it had gone back and forth a little a few years back. I'm on the cusp of building one that may or may not get officially raced and this may have an impact on how it is built.

Short wb Comanches are now OK in Jeepspeed Challenge Class 1700 which means leaf springs. Step up to 3700 rear suspension is open. In the proposed 3750 if short bed is under 117" it can be converted to coils but over 117" has to stay with leaf. Remember 1700 is 10" rear travel and 3750 is 14" rear travel. You can get these numbers with leaf in both Classes. If you want more , link it and go 3700.

Short wb Comanches are now OK in Jeepspeed Challenge Class 1700 which means leaf springs. Step up to 3700 rear suspension is open. In the proposed 3750 if short bed is under 117" it can be converted to coils but over 117" has to stay with leaf. Remember 1700 is 10" rear travel and 3750 is 14" rear travel. You can get these numbers with leaf in both Classes. If you want more , link it and go 3700.

Sounds great, thanks for the info!

3750 is a definite go for 2015. Several vehicles are already under construction. A couple of V8 XJs, 2 Comanches, Hemi powered ZJ, and a 97 Ram 1500 4x4....final rules will be published asap.

Back