• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truss and rear shock cage! ZJ

Cache96

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up fellas, thought i would share some pics with you guys. trussed front and rear axles (HP30)-(D44a) with 4.56 gears. finished rear shock cage.

Finished up the front and rear diffs, the pic of the front diff was taking from behind, thats why it looks a little weird.it pretty much looks like the rear.

Starting
GetAttachmentaspx4.jpg

frontdiff.jpg

rerdiff.jpg

reardiff2.jpg

R&P with master install kits (not shown)
GetAttachmentaspx2.jpg

here is the rear shock hoop, eventually i will tie in my cage onto it.

rearcage.jpg

cageleft.jpg

cageright.jpg

And the rear shocks :D...they are 16" travel 2.5" King shocks

kings-1.jpg

Last edited:
I run the same shocks, they work great :D

nice build. I gotta warn you thought, I think my shock hoop played an integral part in the current state of my XJ. I would get your cage built and tie into that hoop or do something to stiffen up the back end before you really start using the travel that those shocks are going to allow you to have.

I'm not sure if the grands are the same, but on my XJ the rear hoop I built is tied into the tops of the "frame" rails, and from the looks of the floor in the back now, it seems that the hoop pulling up on the rails has really done a number on that area. the entire rear floor is buckled and even shows some creases in some places, and the top of the body in the back is pulling spot welds out and coming away from the unibody. If I were to do it again with no cage I'd do something to brace the frame rails together from underneath, maybe run a couple re-enforcement bars across from rail to rail under the floor.

But, like i said, not sure if the grands are the same I've never crawled under one.

Looks good, keep us informed as you go!
Cant wait to get my 16s in either.. they have been sitting in my room for 6 months taunting me

yeah its above the frame. loooks to be in the same areas as mine. except mine is on top of the coil tower in back and on the frame up front. looks good man!!!! i wish i woulda trussed my axles on bottom woulda saved me about a grand. lol lookin good man, i should be ordering my steering next week so then we can go play. o wait i still need to gusset the c's and make new shock mounts. dammit. end of the month.

yea the shock hoop is right on top of the unibody, i'll keep an eye on it after i give it some use. The jeep wont be ready until Thursday, a friend of mine is installing the gears and the front axle. i'll snap a couple more pics when everything is installed, its going to be the longest week of my life..hahaha

I run the same shocks, they work great :D

nice build. I gotta warn you thought, I think my shock hoop played an integral part in the current state of my XJ. I would get your cage built and tie into that hoop or do something to stiffen up the back end before you really start using the travel that those shocks are going to allow you to have.

I'm not sure if the grands are the same, but on my XJ the rear hoop I built is tied into the tops of the "frame" rails, and from the looks of the floor in the back now, it seems that the hoop pulling up on the rails has really done a number on that area. the entire rear floor is buckled and even shows some creases in some places, and the top of the body in the back is pulling spot welds out and coming away from the unibody. If I were to do it again with no cage I'd do something to brace the frame rails together from underneath, maybe run a couple re-enforcement bars across from rail to rail under the floor.

But, like i said, not sure if the grands are the same I've never crawled under one.

That is good info for the TOTM thread. I don't think anyone has touched on reinforcements on that area yet.

Oright finished everything up... I didnt get pics of the rear shocks installed it was getting dark when we finished.. i'll take some tomorrow.

Frontdiffdone.jpg

frontdiffside.jpg

rearaxleshocks2.jpg

rearaxleandshocks.jpg

looking good man!

how close are those shock bodies to the sheet metal? mine have about a half inch of clearance, and they still are hitting the body somehow on the inner edge. There is a lot of side to side play in the rear end, more than I accounted for when I cut the holes for the shocks.

edit: also be prepared for a decent amount of road noise and exhaust coming in through those holes. I wrapped old t-shirts around the shocks and pushed em down over the holes as a temp fix until I could find something to make a boot out of... then I took my hatch off and figured who cares about holes in the floor when the whole back is open lol.

Last edited:
^this. Although I have seen people do both top and bottom, It is more common to see the bottom trussed on prerunners. At least, from what I've seen.

Yes, bottom is common, but we try not to let anything hang below the diff. When you have the unlimited class buggies and trophy trucks creating nice ruts with their 39" tires, us small tire guys sometimes plow the center ridge with our diffs. Ground clearance is important.

He did a great job on his truss, but we'd have something welded to the cover to help it slide up and over. That tube hanging down is just going to catch all the big stuff that is sitting in the center of the course.

He did a great job on his truss, but we'd have something welded to the cover to help it slide up and over. That tube hanging down is just going to catch all the big stuff that is sitting in the center of the course.

ah, a small skid plate perhaps?

looking good man!

how close are those shock bodies to the sheet metal? mine have about a half inch of clearance, and they still are hitting the body somehow on the inner edge. There is a lot of side to side play in the rear end, more than I accounted for when I cut the holes for the shocks.

edit: also be prepared for a decent amount of road noise and exhaust coming in through those holes. I wrapped old t-shirts around the shocks and pushed em down over the holes as a temp fix until I could find something to make a boot out of... then I took my hatch off and figured who cares about holes in the floor when the whole back is open lol.

Actually the driver side has about half inch of clearance and the pass has about 1" i still need to cut and hammer a little more..haha.. I still thinking what i can cover the holes with but i will be taking my hatch off so i am not to worried about it yet! its not my DD so i can handle the noise :D

ah, a small skid plate perhaps?

Yes. We have serious beef added to our front diff cover and it acts as a skidplate to move the diff up and over stuff. It has taken some serious impacts! I'd hate to see what would happen to a stock diff cover.

I've seen stock D30 covers get smashed hard enough against the ring gear to show the imprints of the teeth in it from the outside, from hitting a rock in a silt bed at speed. they are paper thin. Got a pic of your setup Diesel? I understand if you don't want to give away your ideas though ;)

I've seen stock D30 covers get smashed hard enough against the ring gear to show the imprints of the teeth in it from the outside, from hitting a rock in a silt bed at speed. they are paper thin. Got a pic of your setup Diesel? I understand if you don't want to give away your ideas though ;)

No pics. But not because it is some secret. It is basically the same thing that T&J's sells.

Back