• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights not working.

j_dunn

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I wasnt having this problem until I just recently put some rock lights underneath my jeep. But now my dash lights dont work, but the turn signal indicators and high beam indicators work. And also when I have the ignition on when I turn the headlights on the radio goes off, wtf. But there is a fuse I think its #15, I take it out and my running lights wont work but the radio still stays on when I turn the headlights on with the ignition on. I know its gota be something simple but I havent been able to figure it out yet. I hope somebody here can help me. Thanks

Yea I tried that, doesnt work. Ive checked every fuse in it like 3 times, all the fuses I can find anyway. Is there anymore fuses behind the dash or something that I dont know about? Could it be the headlight switch?

Come to think of it I bet it is the radio. It is an aftermarket radio and used to when I would cut my headlights on my radio would come on, regardless if the keys was even in the ignition. So im gona take the radio out and look at some of the wires.

What I actually found was a short on one of the dash illumination wires (orange and black) in the dash behind the radio. There is a splice over on the left-hand side of the steering wheel, buried up behind where the headlight switch is that leads to numerous places in the dash for gague illumination. My short was somewhere between that splice and the radio area, but if you have been under the dash, you know how space is at a premium under there, so I just replaced the wire completely. Also, it might be that the aftermarket radio is somehow wired incorrectly as someone pointed out in my thread.

Good luck and let me know if you want the schematic.

Yea I have checked both fuse boxes multiple times. Unless its just a fuse that isnt getting a good connection. Do you know which fuse is for the dash lights?

Hallo. Two fuses have something to do with the dash lights.Both in the cabin.
#7 15A is a combined one: Parking lights,Warnsignals etc and the adjustment/regulation dash lights.
#9 5A is only for the dash lights.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Well I messed with it some more today and I dont even have a #7 fuse, well it has a number 7 but there is no hook ups to insert a fuse. And the # 9 fuse is the battery fuse on mine. But there is a relay underneath the dash that I can feel it click when I turn the headlights on, could it be that the relay has gone bad? And yes I would love the schematic you have will you please send it to me?

On the '93, per my manual, the two fuses (in the interior panel) that affect the gauge cluster are #17 7.5A for the gauges, headlamp delay module and chime module, and #19 5A for the panel lamps.

Good info Wim.

Just to eliminate any confusion, the diagrams (second diagram for the '93) are correct for the physical location of the fuses but the position numbers shown in the diagrams do not match up with the actual slot numbers on the fuse panel (again for the '93). For the two fuses in question, the 7.5a for the gauges is shown as No. 8 and the 5a for the panel lights is No. 9. On the fuse panel itself these are 17 and 19 respectively as I mentioned in my previous post.

Not a big deal and anyway, we've pretty much beat this one to death and the fuses probably are not j_dunn's problem to begin with.

Yea I'm beginning to think its not the fuses either but I am willing to try anything. It just doesn't make sence to me. But you guys definatley had more experience with this than I have. Thanks everybody for the help.

get out your DMM and check to see if you have power at the fuse and also again at the headlight switch. when you turn your headlights on does your tail lamps also illuminate?

Back