• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Splatter from water pump area on hood/engine bay. New pump time or new seal? pic!

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
IMG01693.jpg

Whats do you guys think? Obviously, its also time for a coolant flush.

Last edited:
It depends on where the coolant is coming from. If its from around the seal, then just replace the seal. If its coming from the seep hole (or weep hole) then the pump is bad. Other indicators the pump is bad are overheating and a noisy water pump. Good luck!

water pumps are cheap. change it out. i don't think you can even replace the seal on one can you? thats some nasty looking coolant too. i'd flush as much of that out as you can when you change the water pump.

could be coming from thermostat housing also! if it was the weep hole it would not be flung like that!

Do a hard core flush before changing that water pump. It will get the nasty crap out of it and only harm your old pump that is shot. Then drain and put your new pump on. Even if it is the gasket change the water pump as previously stated.

Odd question, after I drain the old coolant can I just hook up the old garden hose to the T-stat housing and disconnect the lower rad house and run it to a bucket to catch the water as it exits the block?

Of course then do the same to the rad.

Does that sound safe?

Back