• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop kit bolts

milkman3848

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to get a transfer case drop kit in the mail. I have to put longer bolts in, i was up under my XJ and i have no idea how i'm gonna get them in. One goes in through the bottom so it shouldn't be hard, but the other comes through the top and i dunno how i'm gonna be able to get to the and put it through. Anyone know what i should do? Thanks
Jeremy

Georgia Mike said:
It's only a stud. Put two nuts on it and tighten them against each other, then using the upper nut, back the stud out.

He makes it sound so easy....and sometimes it is-but not usually. There are many methods, such as the double-nut he described. You can also try to tack a nut on the stud and work it out. The method that has worked best for me is just vise-grips and a breaker bar. Don't go too fast---slow and steady. If you apply some heat it will make things go a little faster.
Good Luck...and take your time!

I just put my RE transfer case drop in last night. I, too, read up on this and decided to do the double-nut method. At first, my nuts were too soft (enter joke here) and I had to go to Ace Hardware for some harder nuts (enter another joke here).

Those nuts seemed to do the trick as I was then able to cinch them down nice and tight without rounding the nuts off (not really worth a joke, but go for it anyway).

I began working the nuts nice and slow (oh man, that was a good one) and moved them back and forth. First a bit loose, then tightend, then a bit more loose. Once you begin loosening the stud with the tightened nuts, you'll get the feel of it and will know when you can safely back the stud out without shearing it off inside the unibody frame. That will mean drilling and tapping, which you don't really want.

I also found it useful to use an extractor used for rounded heads and studs. I had to remove the nuts and jack the transer case back up first to gain more access to the stud, but it worked well.

Enjoy and be glad you are working on your jeep with your nuts intact.

-- Project Old Blue
99 Cherokee XJ Sport
RE 3.5" Super Ride lift
BFG's
lots of extras

Just went through this on mine last weekend.

Got one of the studs out with the "two nut" method, but the passenger side just wouldn't budge for anything.

Two hours and a new hole in my frame rail later, and the drop kit is in...

Back