• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV joint/u-joint question (front driveshaft)

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
im rebuilding a front drive shaft for my XJ. the local DS shop sold me Neapco ujoints and centerin ball. got the axle end u-joint in and it fits fine and moves freely. but the bottom ujoint on the CV side is really really hard to move. i got it installed and the caps pressed on and the cap springs (clip that holds the end caps on) didnt fit quite right so i pressed it in a little harder and got the clips to fit, but now the u joint is hard to move. so i removed the u joint to free up ne thing that might be binding and re installed it...did the same thing...this time i removed it and reinstalled it w/out the clips on and even just pressed in there its really hard to move. is this normal? when i greas the joint will it go away? is it ok to just run one clip b/c theres no way i will be able to run it w/ two....whatda i do?

thanks

cool thanks.

one last question. i figured that the spring on the centerin ball is supposed to put a lot of pressure on the upper u joint or w/e but i cant the the u joint down far enough to press the ends on. any advice on how to do that? should i put that top (top of the CV joint) u joint on w/ the centerin ball first and then assemble down from there?

My guess is that one of the needle bearings fell over and is now pressed agains the end of the cap. I'd take it back apart and look. That joint should bove freely.
Hale

Haleyes said:
My guess is that one of the needle bearings fell over and is now pressed agains the end of the cap. I'd take it back apart and look. That joint should bove freely.
Hale

i did take it apart. no needle bearings ne where....still moves roughly

little red cheroke said:
i did take it apart. no needle bearings ne where....still moves roughly

None at all?

I just did this today, did you fill the centering ball wih grease? Ifyou filled it up and the grease can't get out you won't be able to compress it.

make sure there is no grease in the joint or at least that the little fitting is off

also try taping it around w/ a hammer some times thats all it takes you might even try hitting the caps back and forth to center the joint

I just did this today, did you fill the centering ball wih grease? Ifyou filled it up and the grease can't get out you won't be able to compress it.

There is a pinhole on the back side of the centering ball, that should allow the grease to escape...

Markos said:
There is a pinhole on the back side of the centering ball, that should allow the grease to escape...
yeah, but mine was plugged with nasty grease and road grime, took a poking with a needle to open it up and let me compress the joint backtogether. Some nasty grease got squished out.

Back