• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case swap, how to get to bolts?

I did it today, and I was about five minutes from taking a hacksaw to my shortest 9/16" wrench just so I could reach the lower drivers and upper passenger bolts. Support the tranny and remove the driveshafts and crossmember; that alone will let you reach the bolts more easily. Unplug all the electrical connectors and the t-case vent and move them aside. Drop the tranny a couple inches too and you will be able to get at the bolts more easily. I don't think I was able to get a socket on any of the six, but for the most part they came off fairly easily once I had them loosened.

I remember when I worked on mine a few years back there were a couple of tools that made it easier.

1. socket with built in universal joint and 5/16'ths

2. A boomerang shaped box wrench (picked up at sears I think) with a 5/16'ths end to help get at those top bolts.

Good luck!

George Trilikis
00XJ

going around the transfercase counterclockwise looking to the rear. (drivers side) the nut on the very bottom, use a 9/16" wrench. for the next one up on the drivers side you'll also need the 9/16" wrench. the next one up you can either use the 9/16" wrench, or you can use a stubby ratchet and 9/16" socket. (passenger side) furthest up nut you can use a stubby ratchet and 9/16" socket. next one down, you can use either the stubby or a 9/16" wrench. next one down is the last in the sequence, you'll need a 9/16" wrench. ****some other tools that I recommend**** small breaker bar, pb blaster, small pipe (leverage), and that little attachment for the ratchet that looks like a little CV (u-jointed thing).

like the others said, lower the transmission as much as you can to get to the top bolts.

I just finished pulling mine out and I found that a 9/16 box wrench with a ratcheting end worked great. Had the entire unit out of the Jeep in about 15 minutes.

Back