• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this normal???

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
So I finally got around to tearing out the carpet today, in an attempt to try and figure out where the hell this water is coming from. Its hard to say if it's rain related or not, as some days its damp, and others its not. Then one day, I got in and it was a LAKE of water in the floorboard.

Anyways, when I got the carpet peeled back today, I found this piece of steel welded to the floorboard:

1000276nm0.jpg

I could be wrong, but for some reason this doesn't look like it should be there to me. What do yall think?

That looks like a floor repair? I think my old Wrangler had water leak down when the AC was on iirc on the passenger floor. Moisture condensing in the vents or something. Are you running the AC when you see the water, might be a crazy idea though.

No i'm not running the AC, and it's not as crazy as you'd think.....its actually a very common problem to have a water leak on a vehicle when you run the a/c, if your drain is plugged. BUT, even though this all started long before I even touched the a/c for the first time this season, I still ran the a/c for a few days to make sure it was draining properly, which it is.

just put new carpet in mine two days ago.. if your talking about that shiny piece of aluminum foil, its stock. I dont see any metal work, but maybe im blind too
:greensmok

canadian_xj said:
How do you know if the a/c is draining properly? Just for shits and giggles....
After your AC has been run for a while, water will begin to drip down from the outlet hose (elbow shaped thingy) on the firewall.....usually takes a couple of days of running the a/c for it to build up enough to drip down.

I fear it's the heater core also.....BUT im not seeing any signs at all of it running from the firewall or under the dash....this is REALLY driving me crazy!

centralmax said:
just put new carpet in mine two days ago.. if your talking about that shiny piece of aluminum foil, its stock. I dont see any metal work, but maybe im blind too
:greensmok

Well thats certainly nice to know....I couldn't find any signs or rust around it either.....but i don't understand why that piece would need to be there

Last edited:
lol, tear out the interior and then camp in the thing overnight with the sprinkler hosing it down. Or strip it down to just the drivers seat and take it through an automatic car wash? *shrug* dunno what else to tell you. Water is tricky, it likes to follow paths. So it could be a spot on the top of your door and the water is following the door line down to the hinge and then creeping it's way in there.

one of these days if I can ever get a decent day off of work, or one where i don't get called in right as i'm beginning to get the tools out to tear into the Jeep i'll really mess with. For now, i've gotten used to the smell of mold...:doh:

Yeah the seals are there.....noticed the coolant level was slightly down again today.....so it looks like the heater core is suspect.....dammit.:doh:

Back