• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Rail

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket fuel rail or is the stocker ok? Just curious. Have not been able to find one.

Thanks,
Silent

Nothing terrible about the stocker - why do you ask? I'm working on an idea for an aftermarket part made from an extrusion (and therefore a single piece,) but it's not, strictly speaking, necessary for most people and for me it's more something to do...

Considering that most strokers run with the stock fuel rail of some variety, there's probably nothing to worry about. I just want to get rid of all the joins - but I'm cranky that way...

5-90

X2,the rail serves no actual purpose.It may have some "actual" max GPH but Im sure its way above anything that could be derived from a 4.0!

RCP Phx said:
X2,the rail serves no actual purpose.It may have some "actual" max GPH but Im sure its way above anything that could be derived from a 4.0!

I wouldn't say that - you won't have a running engine without it!

I just want to get rid of the steel rail with all the welds/solders, and make it a one-piece part from an extrusion. I have a source for bulk extruded fuel rail, so it's a matter of taking measurements and figure out a good way to mount the thing - the injector pockets will just be milled into the side of the rail.

5-90

5-90 said:
I wouldn't say that - you won't have a running engine without it!

I just want to get rid of the steel rail with all the welds/solders, and make it a one-piece part from an extrusion. I have a source for bulk extruded fuel rail, so it's a matter of taking measurements and figure out a good way to mount the thing - the injector pockets will just be milled into the side of the rail.

5-90

AN- fittings would be cool, as well as an extra fitting at the rear to feed a N2O wet system.

The mounting has to be precise to get the injectors seated correctly.

Jon, where is this project in your 6,453 pages of potential projects? :laugh3:

I did some measurments awhile ago and came up with this spacing. THe measurements are from the first injector

1. 0
2. 2.55
3. 6.90
4 13.125
6 20.050

I wish I had the real numbers and better way to measure other than a steel rule. But I think they are close enough given that the injector is rubber mounted. I am sure the rail was outsourced to provide a low cost.
5-90, I would be interested in what you come up with. I am looking at a project that could use the uniformity and flexibility in applying a common fuel rail from 87-01. I haven't looked at all those years so I don't know if that would be possible.

Andy - you underestimate my notebook - it's about a 400Mb MSWord file by now! :laugh3:

The problem with making it "universal" is that, as I recall, injector spacing has changed a couple times with generational changes to the cylinder head/intake. I really need to get my hands on a few sets of scrap upper end parts that I can play with and won't feel bad if they get wrecked (like some cylinder heads I can run through the bandsaw so I can section them for various experiments...)

Also, I'd like to know what method was used to gain those measurements - you have to REALLY nail things like this down when you measure them! Did you just measure with the rule against a common point, or with a ball seated, or what? The fact that they're sealed with orings doesn't mean that it's not still a precision machining job - it HAS to be accurate or the orings won't seal.

I had planned on making it with about a -6AN, since I don't like Ford-style QD's and I prefer things that work. Same reason I've designed the AW4 -6AN cooler adapters - I wanted to get rid of the QD's. I probably won't have time to make them myself for a while, but that doesn't mean that I can't talk to one of my instructors (since several of them run local CNC shops) and see what it would take to get them made in batches. Any my "fan clutch eliminator" (uses OEM fan,) or...

Making it for N2O would take a little more work - I'd probably design a "doubled" rail for that app. You don't always need the extra fuel, but you need it when you hit the button. The second fuel rail would feed a set of Holley NOSzles or something similar, which allows a dry system (the basic fuel, supplemental fuel, and nitrous all enters the system at the stock injector port) and would probably be easier to tune. I'd already been kicking something like that around...

Essentially, what I'm trying to do (in many places) is get rid of a lot of strange fittings and convert to something a little easier to work with - like when I put -6AN plumbing on power steering - had to fab up adapters for that as well, since the pressure line from the pump is strange. Maybe I'll come up with something better for that one of these days as well...

5-90

bump, any progress on this 5-90? i too share your hatred of the ford qd's.

ive got a fuel rail that wants to leak gas whenever i have important stuff to do, causing massive stress....

it just doesnt want to seat... think im gonna try a differant o-ring.

...but i would love to plumb it with russel pro-classic -6 hose... upgrading has nothing to do with performance, it has to do with keeping the truck from burning to the ground, because jeep used a bullshit design from the factory.

Back