• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dampers, weak springs, and overloads

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
Alright,

I've got two problems and I'm looking for one solution, at least short term. First, the dampers are going. I'm talking about a stock 2WD '93XJ. A far as I know, the dampers are original. If you start one corner bouncing the whole thing jiggles like a bowl full of jelly, and it's starting to affect handling. So, I need new dampers: easy enough. Soak everything real good and be prepared to break some bolts. Second, the rear leafs are saggin' bad. With just a full tank and no passengers, the front halves of the leaf packs are actually bowed up. It's worst on the passenger side: bad enough that I can feel the lean while driving. So, same answer: new leaf packs. Did that for a '62 Dodge once. No big deal.

But, here's what I'm thinkin'. I once had a '72 Plymouth Grand Fury. On gravel that thing would plow like an old farm mule. I figured I could lower the front, but that's not so easy with the double torsion bar setup. The cheap answer was to raise the rear. That wouldn't really improve performance but it would make cornering more predictable and reduce the clinch factor. So, I installed a pair of overload shocks in the rear. You know - the ones with the coil spring around them. That raised the rear just enough to let it break first, preserving my steering.

So, the question - finally:clap: . Does anyone make overload shocks for the XJ or do I have to replace the leaf packs as well as buy new shocks? I mean, some day I am going to lift the thing and I'll be messing with both systems, but for now the main safety issue is the shocks. If I can compensate for the weak springs while I'm changing the shocks that's only one system to work on and only four things to buy: two stock shocks for the front and two overloads for the rear. Otherwise, it's four stock shocks and two leaf packs. Can I cheat with overloads in the rear or do I have to replace the leaf packs as well?

What do you think? :looney:

XJ Dreamin'
'93XJ stock, 4.0l HO, AW4, open D-35c rear, dead pipe front, LT235/75R15 T/A's

"Happiness is a fast boat!"
Mississippi River Rats' motto
Home port: My River Home, Portage Des Souix, MO

You've been hanging around with 5-90 too long. On this side of the great pond we call them "shock absorbers," not "dampers." :wow:

I know Monroe makes coil-over shocks for the XJ, and I believe Gabriel does as well.

Eagle said:
You've been hanging around with 5-90 too long. On this side of the great pond we call them "shock absorbers," not "dampers."
My sister-in-law is Scottish and my brother has picked up a bit of the lingo, but "damper" actually comes from my Dad. He's an engineer who spent his career designing fighters for McDonnell/Douglas. According to the old man: "The spring absorbs the shock - the damper supresses rebound."

Hey - I learned it early. Old habits die hard. Thanks 91xjtim for the Monroe number, and yes SimpleXJ, doin' it right makes more sense. I got to buy stock shocks for the front and at $100/pair for the overloads there might not be much of a price difference in four stock shocks and two spring packs.

Oh well, time to hit the catalogs and do some math.

Thanks all,
XJ Dreamin'
'93XJ stock, 4.0l HO, AW4, open D-35c rear, dead pipe front, LT235/75R15 T/A's

"Happiness is a fast boat!"
Mississippi River Rats' motto
Home port: My River Home, Portage Des Souix, MO

Back