NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 15th, 2010, 17:11
NAXJA Forum User

Throttle Position Sensor

I just installed a new TPS in my '96 Country. The old one, a junkyard piece, was working, but the engine would take an extra second or two to settle down when lifting off the gas while driving. With the new one, however, the engine wants to idle at about 1200, in or out of gear. I just called Rock Auto, but the salesperson suggested I call back during the day, so they could speak with Standard, to see if possibly it's a defective piece. I put the old one back in, so I can drive it to work.
Does this make sense? It's a relatively simple part.
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Throttle Position Sensor

If you can change a problem by changing a part, then you have the problem in your hand. If the JY part works fine and the new part doesn't, seems to me the new part has a problem.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:35
NAXJA Forum User

Agree with Steamer....

Try a new TPS.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:36
NAXJA Member

Since your ECM remembers settings, you have to reset it so it can relearn with the new sensor.

If that doesn't work, I would put the old part back in and see of the behavior changes back.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:37
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

My bet - it's a bunk part.

I'd try another junkyard one though. They're what, 5 bucks at the junkyard vs 30-50 at the store? 6-10 for the price of one... I like those odds.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old November 16th, 2010, 13:32
NAXJA Forum User

The one on there now is from the JY-I just want the engine to stop pulling, however gently, when I lift my foot. I had the original go out about a year ago. I was climbing a hill on the Interstate, and the engine skipped a beat-not bad, and just once. But, it threw a CEL, and when I got home, I got the scanner out, and it said TPS. I went to the JY and came home with the only one I could find from a '96, bastard year that it is. I compared them both with my Fluke, and the original had a definite dead spot in it, and the 'new' one didn't. It runs OK, tranny shifts fine, etc. I just wanted to take care of all the odds and ends before it gets too cold....
So, long story short, should I disconnect the battery, let it sit awhile, and install the new one, or just play roulette with new ones? Can't wait to install the new CPS!
Old November 18th, 2010, 16:29
NAXJA Forum User

Well, I just re-installed the 'new' TPS, and it WORKED! After, of course, disconnecting the battery, and then having dinner. Cleaned up the dishes, then removed the old piece, put in the new one, re-connected the battery, and turned the key. Started right up, idled down to where it belongs, took it for a little ride, and everything seems OK. Add this to the list of things that need a reboot when swapping parts. I've read through 'search' where many folks (including myself) have had problems when swapping a TPS, and I wonder how many don't know of the need for a reboot?
Old November 18th, 2010, 20:17
NAXJA Member

Glad you got it. Thanks for the followup!
Old November 19th, 2010, 04:14
NAXJA Forum User

Nice reward for doing the dishes.
Old November 19th, 2010, 13:46
NAXJA Forum User

I cooked too.....And fed the dog and the cat, made the coffee, THEN went back down to the garage. Going to do the new injectors tomorrow-hope they do what's promised.
Old December 11th, 2010, 12:36
NAXJA Forum User

Another update...The 'new' TPS has been acting up, confusing the new IAC. The idle would swing from almost stalling to about 2k, whether cold or hot. Just the thing you need while stopped in traffic. Almost didn't want to run at all this morning, and threw a code. It confirmed my suspicion, the scanner said TPS. Ironically, I was heading to the JY, and I came home with a variety of formerly loved TPSs and IACs. I used a silver paint Sharpie to record the year and mileage of the pieces. I chose a TPS from a '94 with 109k miles, installed it, re-booted the computer, took it for a ride, and it behaved beautiful. So, maybe I can put my tools away for a while.....