• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

World of SYE

Beezle

NAXJA Forum User
Ive searched for a bit but not coming up with much.

I was wondering if anybody had opinions on different brands of SYE's as im about to buy one soon. Im not trying to skimp on price as they are all pretty close in that department.

I do have a line on a OMIX kit for about $180 and its in stock. My first choice was Advanced Adapters kit which ill have to order for about $200 and their are alot of other brands to choose from also but they all look to be the same thing to me. Im hopeing that a XJ front driveshaft is also gonna be long enough for the rear also. Does anyone know how far the yoke sticks out of an SYE so i can do some measuring before hand?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanx!

I've got a Rubicon Express hack and tap, cost $100, plus I bought a custom driveshaft, so about $400 total. It did the trick for me. Installed easy and got rid of vibes.

I run a AA SYE. They are not that long. Also I have a frount drive shaft. I am at 4.5 up frount and about 5.5 in the rear.

Im leaning towards a SYE that replaces the shaft. im just wondering if all SYE brands are all the same when it comes to reliability. It seems they all have the 32 spline shaft, what about seals, bearings, and all the other internals?

AA SYE for me with a front driveshaft. i went with it because it was easy to find the "new" shaft at the junkyard saving where a custom shaft might be needed (im not too sure on the lengths of the other kits). I have never heard of OMIX. im gonna stay with the tried and true

I hope you have a 231 ( cant drive on the road in 4wd ) as otherwise the your choices are much more limited?

I hope you have a 231 ( cant drive on the road in 4wd ) as otherwise the your choices are much more limited?

Yes, its a np231 so my options are pretty open. Seems like most people are running the Advanced Adapters around here so thats what ill probably go with. Now i just need to scrounge up a front drive shaft.

have you guys running the front shaft for the rear ever separate the slip yoke during full droop or is there plenty of shaft not too worry about it?

My set-up:
99' xj
5 inches of lift F/R
np231

I've got one omix and one AA slip yoke eliminator kit and I can't tell the difference between the two. Same thing, different name on the box.

have you guys running the front shaft for the rear ever separate the slip yoke during full droop or is there plenty of shaft not too worry about it?

My set-up:
99' xj
5 inches of lift F/R
np231

So long as you have a auto and use a auto front shaft as well with your 8.25, you should be fine.

I've got the AA kit as well, very well assembled, had no problems with install.

I screwed up my front driveshaft on the rear the first time I was out on the trail. Ordered a Tom Woods shaft and it's wayyy beefier than stock. The slip joint is much thicker and has more length in the splies. I should have done it first thing.

Tom Woods kit here, it's the only kit that was specifically for the NP242 at the time, not sure if others have come out since. His kit includes a new rear driveshaft as well as a trimmed mainshaft, tailcone, and yoke. I wanted a rear driveshaft I could depend on, and Tom Woods has made excellent drivelines for 4x4s for a long time. (Tom was the main guy at Six States Driveshafts for a number of years before starting his own company)

The hack-n-taps are cheaper, and there's nothing wrong with them. I just wanted the security of a heavy duty rear shaft as well.

So long as you have a auto and use a auto front shaft as well with your 8.25, you should be fine.

Yes it is an auto..sorry forgot about that detail.
Thanks for your feedback!

I've got the AA kit as well, very well assembled, had no problems with install.

I screwed up my front driveshaft on the rear the first time I was out on the trail. Ordered a Tom Woods shaft and it's wayyy beefier than stock. The slip joint is much thicker and has more length in the splines. I should have done it first thing.

How much lift are you running sunburned? And what exactly got screwed up on the shaft?

Back