• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Replacement

XJNewbeeA&PMech

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like I need to replace my water pump. It started making this chirping sound like a loose belt but the sound goes away when the engine heats up. Its not the belt because I replaced it about 3k ago. I checked the pully on the pump today and it has some play in it like the bearings going out on her. I will be picking one up today when I get out of work.

I have read on the forums about waterpumps that turn in the opposite direction, or reverse, depending on engine, accessories, and belt routing so I have a question, but first this is my configuration.

95XJ Sport 4WD, 4.0 HO, Automatic, AC, PS with one serpentine belt. When facing the front of the engine the waterpump pully rotates counter- clockwise.

Do I need a standard waterpump or a reverse waterpump?

I tried to see if I could see an "R" cast into the waterpump but its pritty tight quarters in there.

If there were an "R" cast into the pump where is it located on the pump?

Thank You

I believe it should be an R, but can't really remember, but a reputable auto parts store will guide you in the right direction. Make sure you get a new one, not rebuilt, from a reputable parts store like Napa or such. I put 2 Pep Boy's in within 4 months. Took it back & got a Napa & it's been solid for the last 8 years. I would also say get a standard flow vs a high flow. There are 2 thoughts on this. If the coolant moves too quickly, it has less heat transfer time both in the water jackets and radiator. Others think if it flows faster, it will cool faster. I'm a believer in the first theory. The R will be on the inside blades.

Rob $.02

Last edited:
I may be wrong on this so maybe someone else can confirm. If your w/p pulley is grooved (running on the inside of the belt), it would be standard rotation. If it is smooth (running outside of the belt) it would be reverse. Just match up the impellers and make sure the vanes sre facing the same way...

You want this one:
waterpump.jpg

I never really paid attention to, and forgot to put it in my cooling writeup, but I believe the 4.0L is a reverse rotation impeller.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I wouldn't replace the pump untill either it started leaking through the weep hole or if the engine began overheating. I replaced mine last weekend after 107000 Km's and apart from it weeping, the vanes were still perfect. Assuming the pump is fine and you have a good level of antifreeze in the water which does help to lubricate the bearing somewhat, the chirping you hear could come from a number of other sources (idlers, tensioners, power steering pump, aircon etc.).

FELIX said:
I believe it should be an R, but can't really remember, but a reputable auto parts store will guide you in the right direction. Make sure you get a new one, not rebuilt, from a reputable parts store like Napa or such. I put 2 Pep Boy's in within 4 months. Took it back & got a Napa & it's been solid for the last 8 years. I would also say get a standard flow vs a high flow. There are 2 thoughts on this. If the coolant moves too quickly, it has less heat transfer time both in the water jackets and radiator. Others think if it flows faster, it will cool faster. I'm a believer in the first theory. The R will be on the inside blades.

Rob $.02
I am starting to think this is my issue. I am currently running a FlowKooler High Flow. I have replaced everything on the system and al still getting hot.

You could always try Water Wetter, this stuff actually works. It should lower your temps about 15deg.

Rob

Back