• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Trim

REDDOGG.XJ

Fire up the roof.
My windshield is leaking and I need to remove the trim to seal it but I don’t know how to get the trim off.

HELP

REDDOGG.XJ

What year is your XJ? Does it have the shiney metal trim around the edges of the windshield?

If so, that trim molding is held on by a series of plastic clips attached to the body around the perimeter of the windshield opening. A special flat tool is needed to pop the clips free of the windshield molding. They sell that tool at most auto parts stores.

It if was my XJ I'd call around to your local automotive glass shops and tell then what type of leak you have. You know, describe where you see the water running then ask them if they can 'fix" it and what type of warranty will they give.

I think the best solution will be to pull out the window, remove all the old sealant and then reinstall. Also if you have an older XJ with chips and scratches on the window it may be smart money to install a new window.

You and I guessing where the leak is happening may cause us to pull our hair out. I think to remove your old window and install it with new sealant will be $100 or less.

I asked my dealer mechanic about going from a window with the snap on chrome to the new style with the gasket. He told me my stock style is structural while the new style just floats and provides no structural load path.

I do alot of work on my jeep to include changing all the door weather stripping for the glass but for a front window leak I'd take it to a glass shop, pay them and request a 'warranty" incase that did not fix the problem.

I removed mine when I repaired & primed the rust spots and chips, I just pulled the chrome strips off by hand, just be patient and careful, I didn't need any special tools. You'll be surprised how much crap acculumlates in there. I think I'll pull it off every couple years to clean it out after seeing what was stuck in there.

I had a leak from my windshield a while back and I too pulled the chrome trim off by hand. Bought liquid silicone from auto department in wal-mart and poured away, it self levels and fills every void it can find.

No more leaks.

Back