• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

47 Ford truck Rat Rod build.

Joe94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I thought maybe a few of you guys might enjoy this build. So here is The new project a 47 Ford truck. Original running flathead 4 cylinder engine and trans. Still in a planning stage but I am leaning towards a rat rod build. This will be a first for me and will be kinda slow going. If anyone has ideas, advice or know of few websites to check out let me know.

1901131_274351706063178_1254324797_n_zps29512adc.jpg

Slammed suspension, either chop top or no top. Depending on bed condition either run full bed or remove and do a cylinder gas tank mounted on frame behind cab.

Ahhhh yes. Now this is more my speed. :D

Very nice find. Depending upon how much motor you plan on putting in it, you'll want to completely box that frame and possibly look for a Mustang II front end. A nice 4/3 chop on the roof and you'll be styling, cuz. There's an awesome hidden gem for vintage parts in Denver called Bert's Model "A" store. Visiting this place is like going to the Mecca for gearheads. In a past life, we used to buy hard to find Ford parts from them when we were building restomods in Florida. When I moved here, I finally got the chance to visit and it was awesome. So much rusty gold. Depending on the look you're going after, I'm sure they'll have whatever youre looking for or know where to find it.

Also, www.jalopyjournal.com will be your new best friend. That site is like the NAXJA for hotrods. I've spent countless hours on there following the projects and getting ideas.

Good luck. Have fun with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and the tip on the store. I will check them out. Engine wise I'm still undecided. Have the running flathead I could use. If not a 302 at most is what will go in it. Not looking for crazy fast just a fun cruiser really. As for the frame I'm not sure if I should keep it or modify it. Looking to get this truck down low and keep the costs at a minimum.

Thanks for the link and the tip on the store. I will check them out. Engine wise I'm still undecided. Have the running flathead I could use. If not a 302 at most is what will go in it. Not looking for crazy fast just a fun cruiser really. As for the frame I'm not sure if I should keep it or modify it. Looking to get this truck down low and keep the costs at a minimum.

I can tell you that any drivetrain more than the original flathead will fold that frame like a taco. I've worked on bunch like that. You could also look into getting a later model blazer or S10 frame and narrowing it. It'll already have the suspension done to it and better brakes. I've seen very tasteful restomod trucks done this way and it drives much better for cruising.

As far as the slammed look, you'll want to cut the bottom of the cab out and channel the frame rails through it. Also, if you plan on keeping the bed where it is, I'd suggest Z-Stepping the frame in the rear to raise it up. The trick is, not lowering the frame so much, as it is lowering the body around the frame to give the illusion. I've built probably 5 or 6 of these post-war Fords for clients and if done correctly, they look awesome.

So might be better off just building a new frame? I think I am leaning towards going fender less and hood less. Front fenders and grill are pretty rough.

Totally up to you and your budget. Personally, I like the look of an original boxed frame with a Mustang II suspension, but that can get expensive quickly. Later model stuff is okay, but you want to stay away from the frames with the bulky, bulbous rails that will take the eye away from the body. Personally I think that cheapens the look, but if it's going to be a driver and not a show stopper you may to consider this route. Some guys will sacrifice the look for a cushy ride.

It's a hotrod, bro. Make it yours.

I believe in you. lol

Get two 15' sticks of 6" wide 3/16" flatbar. Turn the frame on its side. Take a sharpie and outline the profile of the frame onto the flatbar. Plasma cut it out. Weld it in. Then grind, grind, grind until you cant feel your fingers. Walla! Boxed frame for about $100.00.

Ballin on a budget.

I'm trying to picture Joe folding himself in half to get into a chop-topped rod. LOL -- cool project, man. :cheers:

I think I am leaning towards going fender less and hood less. Front fenders and grill are pretty rough.
Hmmmmmm, I like me some shapely fenders...

Woodlake2010.jpg

Found out today somewhere in its life somebody messed up and the serial number is a digit off. So now I need to rent another trailer and haul it down to get the serial number verified. Hopefully it won't be too much of a headache getting the title fixed.

On my Willys I just ordered a new data plate with the matching serial number to the title. Found them online, it seemed easier than dealing with those government pogues.

The issue I have is on the truck it reads 1GC like it is supposed to but someone messed up and now the title reads 16C. So that's what I need to get sorted out.

Back