• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6L STROKER AND CALI SMOG NAZI'S

ladrew

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone run a 4.6L stroker in Cali that is smog legal and what are the specs? I've talked to few people and keep getting conflicting information as to what will and wont pass Cali smog. The guy at Golen Eagle said his engine will pass smog with stock emissions equipment and turbo city did a big article on one that passed but no one has given me good details on what to do or what not to do. If there is anyone with a smog legal stroker please give me some good information.

Almost all strokers are smog legal...if you only change the stroke and bore. The "other" stuff is usually where you cause problems....too big of cam, intake, exhaust, no Cat, etc.

There are several threads on this. If you want details just search for "stroker CA smog"

Like has been said, there's nothing inherently not smog legal on a stroker in CA. It's like any other motor, it needs all the legal smog equipment to pass. I've smogged mine twice so far.

What camshaft are you running in your stroker? Its my understanding the camshaft increases the NOX levels which creates the smog problem?

well if you are having a nox issue try running a colder heat range sparkplug first. I am guessing that yours is an HO and not a renix with a EGR vavle.. Do you have actual numbers of what you failed...

ladrew said:
What camshaft are you running in your stroker? Its my understanding the camshaft increases the NOX levels which creates the smog problem?

I don't remember, but it's the most popular cam that guys with strokers run. If you're afraid of smogging it, don't build it. There are many of us running strokers here in CA and we're all smogging them.

Back