• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inline Check Valve

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
I notice after my Jeep sits for a long period it takes several cranks to fire up and usually fires after one or two when warm. I suspect this is my check valve.

I am thoroughly unexcited about dropping my gas tank and have read in my searches that it is possible to install an inline check valve.

Would something like this spliced into a part of the rubber line work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/One-way-Check-valve-for-Gas-or-Diesel-fuel-5-16-Bio_W0QQitemZ170237177883QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance.

I would stay away from it for a couple of reasons: First there are no ratings on pressure, so it may fail prematurely at 39 psi + -. Second, if it may restrict the flow, and if it does, then you'll have the obvious fuel starvation problems, and the pressure before the valve will build up beyond normal operating pressures and could cause a leak or ruin the pump. If you really want to check for a bad checkvalve, do the following: Before starting, turn the key to on, not start, and wait a few seconds, then start. That lets the fuel pump run long enough to prime up. If that helps, there is a good possibility that it is a bad checkvalve, but more testing needs to be done to determine that the problem is not elsewhere like a leaking injector for example. If that doesn't make it start any faster then your problem is elsewhere.

I came across a couple people saying it in threads about bad check valves. I believe the two pieces thread together.

Back