• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nevada Comanche Smog Legal In Cali

jeepprerunner said:
Will a Nevada truck pass smog in Nevada.

????????????

Methinks he meant "will a NV truck pass smog in CA." Just got his fingers stuck...

Oddly enough - check the emissions tag underhood, or have the seller do it for you. Quite a few CA vehicles were sold as "49-states." Since CA requirements are rather more strict, a CA vehicle could easily be sold anywhere - while a vehicle to be sold in CA had to hold to CA specs.

Also, you may want to check with CARB and CalEPA - I know there used to be a mechanism for "importing" a Federal vehicle into CA, but I don't know if it's still there. If it is, it's a lead-pipe cinch that it's changed rather drastically...

Google-Fu should turn up either or both websites. You may also want to search CA DMV, but I think you should start with CARB (California Air Resources Board,) since that's the applicable governing body. However, if the emissions tag says it "complies with California Emissions Standards for XXXX model year," you don't have to worry about a thing - so check that first.

I first want to say sorry about the mixup with states. Secondly, I had the guy look but he couldn't find it and I don't really feel like driving 3 hours to find out that the truck is not smogable in California. Where is the tag and maybe I'll ask him politely to look again. Thanks of the replys.

jeepprerunner said:
I first want to say sorry about the mixup with states. Secondly, I had the guy look but he couldn't find it and I don't really feel like driving 3 hours to find out that the truck is not smogable in California. Where is the tag and maybe I'll ask him politely to look again. Thanks of the replys.

It should be in about the same place as on the XJ (firewall, driver's side, near the brake booster, IIRC,) and it will say "Federal" or "California" emissions standards in the blurb at the bottom of the label.

Also, check with CARB. I'm sure you can "import" vehicles into CA without too much trouble (they did do away with that asinine "Smog Impact Fee" a few years back...) and you should be able to get it handled. Mainly, I'm thinking that you just have a bit more leeway - since Federal standards lag behind CA by two years. (CA started emissions control in 1966, Federal in 1968.)

I still don't see why they haven't "unified" the standards yet, other than sheer bloody-mindedness on the part of CA. However, check out the website - if you can't find an answer there, you can find a phone number - and get an answer from someone on the other end. I've called them before - the guys on the phone are pretty decent (it's just higher-higher that gets problematic. I've had to deal with them as well...)

Thanks for everything again. A guy on Jeepforum.com says it's not officially legal but most cars pass a california smog test. I'm hoping thats the truth.

jeepprerunner said:
Thanks for everything again. A guy on Jeepforum.com says it's not officially legal but most cars pass a california smog test. I'm hoping thats the truth.

It's easier to build for the most stringent standards, and then test for suitability.

They do something similar with "high-flux" LEDs (the super-bright ones) - they're all built to meet the highest standard available, and then they're tested. Those that meet those standard wind up in the "prime" bin. Those that don't? Doesn't mean they're not any good - they get put into "lesser" bins, sold for a bit less, and used where a little less light is acceptable. Many other things work the same way - resistors have a "tolerance" value. They're built according to what they're rated for, and then assigned a tolerance afterwards (typical values are .5%, 1%, 5%, and 10%.)

Make sense? So, it's not unreasonable to expect that a "Federal" vehicle may pass California smog, and it's quite common for a "California" vehicle to be sold on the "49-states" market with "California" markings.

So, I'd not be surprised to find out that it's a "California" vehicle - either sold Federally with CA standards, or it was originally bought in CA in the first place! Look for the emissions tag on your XJ - the MJ tag should be in the same place. Then, you can tell the seller where to look, and have him take a pic of the tag if he doesn't know what to look for. If you look at the last lines on your tag, you'll know what to look for yourself in the picture.

Back