• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Wiring - Best Practices, Tips & Tricks, Basics, etc

Plan plan plan!!!!

that's rule #1
Don't jump into a wiring job without a plan, especially if wiring alot of things at once.

When I do any thing that requires the use of relays I build schematics I pencil eveything out, Then I draw it up in paint, I do all the load calcs for wire size etc.

Here's my latest schematic for my off road lights....

OFF-ROAD%2520LIGHTS.jpg

Grounding is always done at the chassis.
When running wires I always run extras, for future use you never quite know when you'll add something or change something.

Always protect your wires with somthing to prevent scraping/rubbing...believe it or not wires vibrate while carrying current its so slight we can't even see it but it does happen combine that with the flexing of a vehicle and things move, push. pull etc.

Always keep your work neat, it makes it easier if you have to troubleshoot something...

this is the kind of work I do...

100_1588.JPG

this was two switches I added to my shifter bezel

When triggering relays with a switch you don't need to over kill the wire size from the switch. Most of my switches are wired with 16-18 gauge wire.

Don't go to Home Depot to buy wire!!!!, they don't carry automotive wire. The stranded wire they sell is for high voltage commercial/home use. Go to Auto parts store, stereo store etc.

when planning ahead, think that you might have to take that apart again...mmmm..."maybe I should put a connector so I can just pull the connector apart instead of having to undo all my wiring..."

something like this one...this is the shifter bezel. all I have to do is pop it off and unplug the connector

100_1587.JPG

took 10 minutes extra, cost me about $4 saves me a lot of time in the future if I need to pull the console etc...

Bump for a useful thread.

I'm planning to clean up the wiring in my center console this weekend: temp gauge, winch controller, rail shifter and associated switches. Planning to add connectors so the console can be easily separated from the Jeep. Also, in my former days I did much of my wiring with commercial residential wire:twak: and I plan to switch that over to insulated GXL wire.

It's already been said but,
Don't do wiring in a rush. Take your time, run each and every wire where you want it. Avoid metal edges (future short circuits)
Solder & heat shrink.
If you are in doubt about wire size, go bigger. Note that almost nothing on a car needs more than 10 awg - but don't be shy about using it if 12 is questionable.
Oh, and,
Rule number one: disconnect the battery first.

Re: Electrical Wiring - Best Practices, Tips & Tricks, Basics, etc

Get to be friends with a car dealers parts dept. The factory replaces entire harness when doing warranty repairs and doesn't always want the old one returned. They save those for me and it gives me lots of automotive wire in every possible color and tracer with many different gages of wire. Tip the guys well for this favor and you will have an unending supply of wire and connectors.

Re: Electrical Wiring - Best Practices, Tips & Tricks, Basics, etc

I should add use marine grade wiring from Ancor and military battery cable ends. Check out genuinedealz.com for both. They are very reasonable and pre make wires to order.

Subscribed!

I hope this is the right spot. I started building my jeep back I 04 before I joined the Marines. I just got out and the jeep is sitting with a jumble for a wiring harness and a mess of parts. I have 6.5" of lift and a bored out amc 4.0. I really need some help with finding a schematic to build a harness so I can get her up and running. Thanks guys

Marine -- Thank you for your service :cheers:

I suggest you start a new thread -- Right here in modified XJ

Tell us about yourself, Tell us about your jeep, and show us a picture of your girlfriend in a bikini :eyes:

I'll do all I can to help and I'm sure most everyone here will too.

I hope this is the right spot. I started building my jeep back I 04 before I joined the Marines. I just got out and the jeep is sitting with a jumble for a wiring harness and a mess of parts. I have 6.5" of lift and a bored out amc 4.0. I really need some help with finding a schematic to build a harness so I can get her up and running. Thanks guys

If I could make a suggestion. I'd find a used uncut harness. There are too many power and ground chains in the Jeeps that are just a huge pain in the ass.

Ebay did me justice in finding decent wiring harnesses. I'd look there, if not a local junkyard.

In relation to tips and tricks. I believe the smartest thing I did was snag an extra PDC from a 4.0 in the local pick n pull and use it to have all of my accessories fused and relayed.

Just recently I have come to realize buying actually wire plugs off amazon makes for a very clean approach to running switches/accessories so its not a hodgepodge of wires that are buttend connectors after buttend connectors.

Back