• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power steering when turning left only

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
When the jeep is cold it will turn both directions, but after it warms a little it feels like no power steering when turning left only. The steering box is a PSC. Is there a way to free the valves or fix whatever is causing this?

Could be a rotary valve problem, in the steering box.
It is not something I would attempt to fix.
I would contact PSC for advice, it's their box.
Other here do rebuild their own boxes, so maybe they have a better idea what the solution is.

Maybe the center over adjustment, the jam nut and screw on top of the box is a little tight. Mark it well and back it off a tiny bit. If it doesn't help you can return your marks to where they were.

Just an update:

So the box started binding really badly and wouldn't turn lock to lock anymore. It felt harder to turn than without power steering and I got into a position on the trail where I had to turn left and the wheel stopped at about 1/2 turn. So I forced the wheel as hard as I could and got it to urs more after a loud snapping noise.

At this point the steering was so difficult I had to use both hands to steer even on the highway. Luckily I made it the 400 miles home driving like this. Now I've replaced the box with a cheap Napa one.

Back