• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd sized bleeder valve on front caliper.

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
I had to bust out the torch on my front bleeder valve this evening. The thing wouldn't budge with vice grips. The rear valves are 8mm, but the front was some funky larger size. It was bigger than a 9mm, less than a 10mm. I tried 3/8th, 7/16ths, nothing fit. I picked up an 8mm replacement (listed in their computer) at Checkers and the threads are to small. I'll be hitting up Napa tomorrow.

Does this sound right to anyone? I didn't see any chryco symbols on the calipers. I did see the letters HK, which I thought might be Hong Kong. I'll be pissed If I have to buy new calipers because the I can't find a bleeder valve that fits. I replaced the brakelines, bled the rear brakes, replaced the front lines, only to get hung up on the front bleeders. I can never catch a break when working on this thing...

According to my speed bleeder packaging cardboard that I kept they are 3./8x24 and 5/16x24. I forget which is front and which is back...

Yes, despite the fact that XJ's are metric, the brakes are not. You should find the bleeder you're looking for in the SAE box. *
If the hole is mangled or the seat damaged, you can also get a universal bleeder replacement kit at some auto parts stores. It consists of an adapter threaded to 1/8 NPT, into which the new bleeder seats.

* the same goes for the lines, by the way. They're all SAE.

Yes, despite the fact that XJ's are metric, the brakes are not. You should find the bleeder you're looking for in the SAE box. *
If the hole is mangled or the seat damaged, you can also get a universal bleeder replacement kit at some auto parts stores. It consists of an adapter threaded to 1/8 NPT, into which the new bleeder seats.

Well the caliper bolts are metric, I guess because the knuckles have metric threads. The rear bleeders are 8mm. Unfortunately, you can't say that the brakes are entirely SAE.

No metric or SAE wrench fits this bleeder valve...

Back