• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hodge's Renix Stroker Build up.

HodgePodge

NAXJA Member #987
And so it begins...

I have started hording parts for my stroker build up, through the reading of the archives, various websites, this is what I have come up with:

AMC 258 12 counterweight Heavy crank
Stock 4.0l Rods (soon to be shotpeened and magnafluxed, new arp rod bolts)
Custom Forged pistons
Cloyes Double Roller
Melling high-Volume Oil pump
Mopar Performance plug wires
Mopar Performance Springs, retainers, locks
Comp Cams Anti-Pump up lifters

Machine work:
.030 overbore of cylinders
3 angle job on the head
Dr. Dynos home port and polish
Have to get head checked for flatness but I may have to clean that up.

Now for the items to discuss...

I can't make the decision on which cam I want. Should I go for the compcams 68-231-4 or the slightly hotter compcams 68-235-4?

Current status: Started pulling the drivetrain to pull the engine. Have the t-case pulled and starting on the transmission.

Anyone need a Peugeot/np207 combo? It moves but whines and grinds

Hodge

You say you are using the 4.0L rods. Are you sure you have the correct pistons that compensate for the longer rod?

The stroker I built used the 4.2L rods and the HC802P pistons that gave a good piston height. If I had used the stock 4.0L rods, the pistons would have hit the head.

Cam selection should be based on what RPM range you operate in most of the time. I am using the 68-231-4 part number - Grind number -A58 X4 250H-11 because I wanted all the low end I could get and my engine will barely ever see 3500 or more.

the 235 will make more power but it will be higher up. (more lift)
the 231 make morepower down low.

I decied to go with the 235 because I have an auto and if I'mon the gas at all it goes up to at least 1800rpm. combined with I have'nt regeard yet son when I do I'll go a little higher.

I should have my stroker running by march so I'll no more then.

this is best answerd with it deppend on your tranny and gears and tire

I have the Crane 753905 cam in my 4.6 stroker and I think it's the best all round choice for a mostly street driven Jeep, especially when the engine is built with a CR in the mid-9's. It makes its best power from 2000-4500rpm but it'll still pull cleanly from as little as 600rpm.

you say 258? renix motor. correct me if i am wrong but you are talking about the renix 4.0 and thats a 242 isn't it? i am planning on making a stroker out of my 87 4.0 for my 94 and i am going to use the accurate power 4.6 kit and have my friend whos a mechinist do the work for me. then i will build the engine up with one of my buddies, new injectors, new exhaust, tb etc.

Hmmm... I like your recipe... reminds me of mine :D

pre HO 4.0 block bored .060

258 12wt heavy crank

Clevite bearings

New HO 4.0 connecting rods

ARP wave-loc connecting rod bolts

Childs & Albert custom forged aluminum pistons w/23cc dish 1.392 compression ht.
+ .010 deck on a stock 4.0 block = .042 quench (factory gasket)
.930 pin dia.

Childs & Albert performance piston ring set

Camshaft: (Intake/Exhaust) 254°/262° adv. dur.,
210°/218°dur. @ .050"
lift, .477"/.493" valve lift, 1000-5200rpm, 111° lobe separation

Cloyes Tru-roller timing chain

Melling hi-volume oil pump

7120 HO head w/ major polish & porting

1994 HO intake ported/gasket matched

MOPAR Performance 1.6 Roller Rockers

Flometrics 68mm throttle body

I got my camshaft from Mike @ Accurate... I've gotten good products, advice and tech from him... Highly recommend him.

All I need to complete the project is valves, springs, locks, retainers, and an exhaust header... having trouble deciding between Borla, Banks, Mike Leach

007_4.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

HodgePodge said:
that looks beautiful... Are you going to need the valve cover spacer with those or did you machine the stud bosses? I'm thinking of doing the roller rockers but have to see how the funds hold out.

hodge

valve cover spacer from Hesco...

I got the roller rockers new on Ebay pretty cheap, the yella terra's that quadratech is offering seem like a good deal though. There's a thread on roller rockers here somewhere. It's also debatable that you don't need roller rockers, that stockers do fine. My reasoning was "In for a penny, in for a pound". Even if the build is taking me a long time, I'm building it to last and to make me notice it.

That's a sweet combo you've got there Gil. I've calculated your stroker's CR at 9.8:1 so the cam you've chosen matches perfectly. Since your engine has a bigger displacement than mine (4657cc for yours v 4563cc for mine), a longer duration cam, and higher CR, I'd expect your stroker to produce even more HP (maybe 275ish) and more torque (335ish).
You've gone for a tight quench and longer rods so you should be able to run 91 octane or even 89 without pinging.
Bring it on baby! :D

Dr. Dyno said:
That's a sweet combo you've got there Gil. I've calculated your stroker's CR at 9.8:1 so the cam you've chosen matches perfectly. Since your engine has a bigger displacement than mine (4657cc for yours v 4563cc for mine), a longer duration cam, and higher CR, I'd expect your stroker to produce even more HP (maybe 275ish) and more torque (335ish).
You've gone for a tight quench and longer rods so you should be able to run 91 octane or even 89 without pinging.
Bring it on baby! :D

Did I forget to mention it's prolly gonna get forced induction...

:D

Going to try a junkyard blower (Eaton M90) and try to do the XJ version of this write-up:

Blown YJ writeup

I'm using the Renix so it should help with runnning 89 octane

mmm.. boost. I have thought about throwing a blower on my daily driver. Just have to get around to figuring out what I want to do. The biggest issue I have with installing one is I don't want anything to break the hood line. No hood scoops. I may beable to cut a hole in the hood and do some fiberglass like the eagle talon hood but I'm not sure about the clearance from the hood supports.

Guess I'll just have to throw it in there and find out, or wait for you to do a writeup :D

Gil BullyKatz said:
Did I forget to mention it's prolly gonna get forced induction...

:D

Going to try a junkyard blower (Eaton M90) and try to do the XJ version of this write-up:

You'd better think about beefing up other systems (drivetrain, tranny, axles, brakes, traction) in your XJ if you're gonna add forced induction to your stroker. Otherwise you'll be breaking parts in no time.

Dr. Dyno said:
You'd better think about beefing up other systems (drivetrain, tranny, axles, brakes, traction) in your XJ if you're gonna add forced induction to your stroker. Otherwise you'll be breaking parts in no time.

nah.... gonna keep the 20/35 combo and run 3.55's

Back