• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Stalls...

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I just did some work to my 88'. I replaced the valve cover gasket, the CCV system (most of it), and an oil and tranny fluid change.
The problem that I have run into is: After I was done all the work, I started up the XJ, but it prompltly died. After several attempts of starting and reving the engine, it finely caught on. That was on monday. Today (Wednesday) I went for a drive on my lunch brake and as I turned a corner to go up a hill, it died on me!!! (I was doing about 35mph). After several attempts to start, it once again ran fine. And, it happened to me again later as I was coming to a red light. When it starts up, it will rev to about 2000 rpm, and then die. If I try to give it any gas, it dies quicker. Also, if I leave the starter engaged, it doesn't die.
Any ideas?

Sean

BTW, I replaced the ENTIRE exhaust last fall.
also, when I start her up, I don't get an engine or a battery light

Last edited:
In mucking around with the CCV stuff, were you doing any work in the vicinity of the air filter box? Like maybe removing the top of the box?

The fuel pump runs through a ballast resistor, which happens to be by-passed during the START cycle. The ballast resistor on the '88 is mounted on the inside of the driver's side fender, up front next to the air box. It's a white-ish ceramic block about 2-1/2 inches long with a heavy wire coming off each end. It sounds like you may have either loosened one of the connections, or possibly cracked the resistor itself. Either condition could result in power to the fuel pump being intermittant, but since the ballast resistor is by-passed for starting, it'll always start fine... until you release the key.

Back