• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ASD Issue/diagnosis question.

AccordSwagon

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0L Automatic.
First jeep, excited to get it reged/inspected and on the road, and build it up.
Had two codes, trans and p1388. Didn't think the relay code would be an issue, didn't know what it was. Fixed the trans and kept driving it around to clear the 4 readiness monitors.
Noticed none of them are clearing, and was weird.
(Guy I sold it from had a temp inspection sticker on it, so I assume he wasn't able to clear them down to two readiness monitors for NYS inspection for passing)

So I opened the fuse box to check the relay and I see that the ASD relay is jumped. Remove the jumper or put a relay in it and then jeep will just crank, won't start.

Trying to diagnose the harness, kinda a little lost with electrical diagnosing, couldn't find anything wrong.

Today we took my ECU out and put it into a friend's 2000 xj, would crank but won't start, if we do the jumper on his jeep also, works then.

So then we took his ECU and put it on mine, also put in a relay into the spot instead of the jumper. When you out it into ignition, the ASD relay makes a buzzing noise. But if you turn it to crank, the vehicle will crank and run. Once it's running, the relay doesn't make any buzzing noise.

So I assume the ECU is bad, will order another programmed one.
(Checked all the fuses and they are good too)
But there still is the issue of why is that relay buzzing, know it's not suppose to.

Can anyone suggest where/what to start checking?

Have seen other threads/forums online but just seems it could be pretty much anything so I'm a little lost on how to narrow it down.

Thanks!!!

Back