• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 cherokee shipped to colder climate now hard to start

xactorocker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have a 92 cherokee 4x4 4.0 and I just made a move to montana from Georgia (shipped the jeep) and ever since I got here I have been having issues where the two lights on the dash don't come on the check engine and meint required. I can cycle key for a bit maybe 5 mins and they start flickering and the fuel pump flickers with them. But by then battery about dead. Replaced ignition switch and the fuel pump and nothing soo far. Anyone got any ideas thank you, really need to get this thing going my only vehicle.

Could that cause this cause once you get it to start flickering it will eventually become solid. It's like it goes from nothing to those loghts flickering with pump and then all works but by then battery is dead won't crank Over fast enough.

If the battery or alternator is bad, the PCM is not happy. Even at 32* you should have at least 15-20 minutes of reserve power to make the starter turn over the engine non-stop. Running the starter 15 minutes non-stop will ruin the starter, but since your battery is all done after just a few minutes, it is likely toasted.

How old is the battery ? Typical battery life is 3 - 5 years.

Load Test the battery and the alternator.

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Battery terminals and battery wire connectors should bright silver, not dull gray/black and corroded. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, the ground wires at the coil, and the ground wires from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, wire brush, and clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt onto.

Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad wire connections, or poor grounds.

Last edited:
Hmm, this is new to me, will a cheap battery charger not charge an AGM well enough to get started?

Yes, but you could also ruin a AGM battery if your not paying attention.

yeah i will probally try a battery today just seems weird that it starts flickering and becomes solid after all that seems like would do less and less but i guess low voltage can do anything huh. also what is a agm battery thank you!

Absorbed Glass Mat like a Optima Red Top.

ah yeah ill probally go ahead and get one anyway so my battery doesnt freeze solid. do you know what group size i might need. I know the stock is 58 but optima doesnt sell one i saw something about a group 34 but having to trim tray any of yall done that? thanks.

I run both a 34/78 and a 75/25 with the side and top terminals.

alright you have 2 batteries or are those the ones that fit. i might go grab a napa AGM battery since thats all they have in town in group 34

Yes they fit in both my XJ's, the reason for dual set of terminals is for the winch. The 34 has a little more CCA also.

alright you have 2 batteries or are those the ones that fit. i might go grab a napa AGM battery since thats all they have in town in group 34
What does napa charge these days for the agm battery's ?

Napa has one for 200 and the red top look like its 254 is the red top worth the difference. sorry about price shopping im a college student trying to solve broken jeep problems as usual.

Napa has one for 200 and the red top look like its 254 is the red top worth the difference. sorry about price shopping im a college student trying to solve broken jeep problems as usual.

All AGM's are better than wet cells, but I only have experience with Optima as I have 7 of them and never got less than 6yrs out of them.

Napa battery's are made by Deka battery's I had the 7534 battery lasted 7 years before it died.

Back