• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ on Tons..... Brakes?

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
Well my rear 609 is almost done and ill be working on a matching front with a 1ton GM D60 King Pin axle as the base. I have the ruff stuff rear brake kit with 78 K10 calipers and stock D60 front calipers. Will the stock master and booster be able to keep up with that? I know some upgrade that stuff too while others just run it, what does it feel like with the stock master/booster?

really? that matters?

Cummins had hydroboost and different master. Some early ones had vacuum boosters but still a different master I believe. I ordered mine as a 01 2500 gasser cause that's what I saw people say :dunno:

The 2500 master cylinder is the common upgrade on tons. I think the 98 Durango MC is also a larger bore bolt up option.
Why not go with a hydrboost system, though? I never see Astro Van HB systems or larger stuff put on XJs... can't think of why not. I'll say that it works really nicely on my '57 truck and my old man's 72 vette.

i am actually looking into the hydra boost system as a possibility. few of them at the local junk yard and i do love me some junk yard parts.

uhh ya all that shit is expensive. i'm just asking if i seriously need to upgrade my master to something from a truck or go hydro assist.

which Is why I said to call them.

they will have the answer for you. there are several ways to skin a cat and those two will know more on the subject than anyone.

but rest assured the stock booster/master will not be very effective.

you can swap boosters/masters all day long with different combos, at the end of the day you are going to have to do a ton of math to get it right.

which Is why I said to call them.

they will have the answer for you. there are several ways to skin a cat and those two will know more on the subject than anyone.

but rest assured the stock booster/master will not be very effective.

you can swap boosters/masters all day long with different combos, at the end of the day you are going to have to do a ton of math to get it right.

The maths been done. Dodge 2500 gasser master is the winner.

I have hydroboost on my MJ.

Love everything about it. Granted I run Ford twin-piston calipers all the way around.

I used a 1.125" vette MC for $25 and a Ford Superduty booster.

IMO pedal effort is perfect with plenty of power to lock up my 40s at will, at speed with just off the shelf autozone pads/rotors.

The only thing that sucks is if you plan on doing any type of high speed stuff with full hydro. Hydroboost needs priority high pressure feed, which then restricts flow to your orbital. I'm probably going to send mine off to Vanco to get refreshed and ported for higher flow.

Back