• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Door Power Window Regulator

JonnyCat63

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Need some help and hoping someone has a solution. The window regulator on my newly acquired 99 2 door is broken. I bought it that way thinking it would be an easy fix. I pulled the regulator and the plastic tubing is all broken and the plastic clip on the secondary bracket is broken as well. I have not been able to locate the regulator anywhere. It's a discontinued Mopar part, and no aftermarket manufacturer makes one. I've Googled the proper part number and it comes up as available on many websites, but when I called to verify stock, no one has it. I've seen the repair kit from Steiger Performance, but that only is for the main bracket. I can source the motor, but little else. No luck at junkyards either. Does anyone have a solution, or has had this problem? I figure my options are:

1. Try to piece together repair parts from other regulators. Has anyone done that, and what parts have you used?
2. Try to find some NOS sitting on a shelf somewhere. Anyone done that or has a line on some regulators?
3. Try to find a place that can re-build my regulator. Any ideas?

I'd like to get a new regulator, but that seems remote. I can understand Mopar discontinuing this part, but no aftermarket support? It's very odd.

Not sure what I'm going to do, so if anyone has some ideas, I'd appreciate it. Sure would like my window to work again! LOL!

Have you tried cross referencing to a 4 door version? From what i recall when i did my front door. The regulator appears to be the same. (As long as the link in previous post isn't just a representative photo.)

This is for a 4 door, just like all the others listed. The factory part number is 55155013aj or ak. Some of the parts listed will offer it as good for all models, or even some list it as good for 2 doors as well, but that is erroneous information. The 2 door power regulator has a main bracket and a secondary bracket. A good picture of it is on steigerperformance.com.

All the 4 door models have only one bracket, so I don't think it is possible to even modify the door, brackets, or window to use the 4 door model. The regulators are decidedly different 2 door vs 4 door.

Have you tried cross referencing to a 4 door version? From what i recall when i did my front door. The regulator appears to be the same. (As long as the link in previous post isn't just a representative photo.)

The regulators are not the same. The 4 doors have only one bracket, while the 2 doors have 2. The 2 door window is wider and has 2 attachment points, one for each bracket. Steigerperformance.com has a good picture of the 2 door model.

Even calling junkyards across the nation has yielded dismal results. Even used ones are hard to come by. Even still, used ones are probably not in great shape and are just a matter of time before they fail as well. It's not a great design. I was hoping someone with experience with 2 door regulators maybe had a solution, but so far, no one has chimed in.

I may have found a solution, however. A place in Phoenix called Power Window Repair has told me they can rebuild them better than factory, with a warranty. I spoke with them at length yesterday and felt confident, and hopeful, that they can do the job. They spoke the right language, said they repair many 2 door XJ regulators. She even referred to Cherokees as XJ's without any prompting from me. In our conversation, I told her I didn't know what 2 door Cherokee owners do when their regulators break. She replied, "eventually they find us."

Sooooooo, I sent both regulators via Brown Santa to them yesterday. They should arrive to them by Wednesday, and hopefully returned to me within a week. It is pricey, $189.00 a pop, but I see little in the way of options. BTW, this doesn't include new motors. Interestingly enough, the motors are readily available, not just any other parts. Anyway, I have done extensive research on these GD regulators, and I thought for me, this was a viable option. Short of trying to cobble some parts from scratch or from other regulators, this hopefully is the best long term and cost effective solution.

I will report back with my findings when I know more.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Yes, there are many listings like this one all over the internet. However, when you call to check stock, they all say the same thing. It's a discontinued part and no longer available. When I ask why their sites list them, they tell me that the website is a 3rd party site, and many times they are wrong. If you look at some of the other sites like moparoverstock or chryslerfactoryparts, they will actually say on the site that the part is no longer available. No matter what is on the internet, those regulators are no where to be found. I suppose there are some NOS somewhere, but I haven't been able to find any.

I know you're correct, I had dealer stock checked nationwide years ago and there were none. I was told there were some to be available way back, and a few weeks after that they refunded my money and said Mopar wasn't planning on making more.

I know you're correct, I had dealer stock checked nationwide years ago and there were none. I was told there were some to be available way back, and a few weeks after that they refunded my money and said Mopar wasn't planning on making more.

What did you end up doing?

Nothing, it's still bad. But it only chatters when it reaches full up or down position. I make sure to let off the switch when it reaches those positions. :looser:

I did find a local selling the guts to a manual-window two door and bought all the parts to convert mine if it ever completely crapped out.

Nothing, it's still bad. But it only chatters when it reaches full up or down position. I make sure to let off the switch when it reaches those positions. :looser:

I did find a local selling the guts to a manual-window two door and bought all the parts to convert mine if it ever completely crapped out.

That possibility crossed my mind as well! LOL! Hopefully I can get the regulators rebuilt and be on my way.
It's just puzzling why these are not available in the aftermarket. Hoping others chime in with what they have done in this situation. Maybe having them rebuilt is the only option.

While searching around for something else for my XJ, I stumbled across someone who may have the 2 door version regulators for the passenger side.

Jeeps R Us carries New-Old Stock Jeep stuff. At first I thought it was meant for the 4 door models, but those listings show up a few lines lower from the 2 door ones. However, they do not appear to have the driver's side one though...

Whether they have them stock or not is yet to be determined, but they are listed as available...

http://www.jeepsareus.com/auto-parts/1998/jeep/cherokee/sport-trim/4-0l-l6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/front-door-scat

Last edited:
plastic tubing is all broken and the plastic clip on the secondary bracket is broken as well.

In more detail what do you mean by "plastic tubing", "plastic clip" and "secondary bracket"

What normally breaks on 4 and I would expect 2 door as well is the screw that moves and holds the spiral rod inside the plastic tube. There is a metal replacement for around ~$20.00.

If the regulator is ok there should be a fix, or a way to invent a fix, for the plastic tubing, plastic clip and secondary bracket.

Do you have any pics of the broken pieces that are in need of repair or replacement?

I found this site which addresses some of the issues between 2 and 4 door power window regulators.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/2door/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-Window-Regulator-Repair-Metal-Replacement-Kit-97-01-Jeep-Cherokee-/231395027655?fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item35e037eac7:g:pQMAAOSwepJXbewF&vxp=mtr

Here's what's described as a passenger side on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Windo...ash=item41a35ac5f1:g:rqIAAOSwKtlWnfah&vxp=mtr

Perhaps needs to be verified to fit 1999. It matches OEM numbers for left and right side for a 2 door 2000 XJ. (55155012AJ,55155012,55155013AJ,55155013)

Last edited:
I took another look at the ebay search results for a 2 door 2000 xj (55155012AJ,55155012,55155013AJ,55155013) and found the ebay search engine hits don't match their vehicle compatibility which lists 4 door XJ's. The pic is for a 2 door windows regulator but the vehicle compatibly shows its for a 4 door XJ.

That's one thing I dislike about eBay's search engine, it lists items that aren't specific to your search string.

While searching around for something else for my XJ, I stumbled across someone who may have the 2 door version regulators for the passenger side.

Jeeps R Us carries New-Old Stock Jeep stuff. At first I thought it was meant for the 4 door models, but those listings show up a few lines lower from the 2 door ones. However, they do not appear to have the driver's side one though...

Whether they have them stock or not is yet to be determined, but they are listed as available...

http://www.jeepsareus.com/auto-parts/1998/jeep/cherokee/sport-trim/4-0l-l6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/front-door-scat

Been there, don't have it. Thanks, though.

In more detail what do you mean by "plastic tubing", "plastic clip" and "secondary bracket"

What normally breaks on 4 and I would expect 2 door as well is the screw that moves and holds the spiral rod inside the plastic tube. There is a metal replacement for around ~$20.00.

If the regulator is ok there should be a fix, or a way to invent a fix, for the plastic tubing, plastic clip and secondary bracket.

Do you have any pics of the broken pieces that are in need of repair or replacement?

I found this site which addresses some of the issues between 2 and 4 door power window regulators.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/2door/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-Window-Regulator-Repair-Metal-Replacement-Kit-97-01-Jeep-Cherokee-/231395027655?fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item35e037eac7:g:pQMAAOSwepJXbewF&vxp=mtr

Here's what's described as a passenger side on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Windo...ash=item41a35ac5f1:g:rqIAAOSwKtlWnfah&vxp=mtr

Perhaps needs to be verified to fit 1999. It matches OEM numbers for left and right side for a 2 door 2000 XJ. (55155012AJ,55155012,55155013AJ,55155013)

The plastic tubing is what holds the spiral cable between the guide brackets. You can fix that by wrapping wire around it in an exo-skeleton fashion, and the wrapping it in electrical tape. That, surprisingly, is a very effective repair for the broken tubing.
The problem I have, is that the plastic guide piece is broken on the secondary bracket, and that piece is not available. What I did to remedy the problem was to buy a regulator for a 4 door, and modify the main bracket guide piece to fit the secondary bracket. It took a little work, but it was successful.
I'm well aware of the Steiger Performance repair kit. It, unfortunately, was not an option for my situation.

Hmm, a small broken plastic guide and the entire regulator doesn't work. That's quite an engineering accomplishment.

I'm wondering if Jeep ever did have spare parts for the 4 and 2 door regulators other than perhaps the regulator motor.

This type of problem I've come across many times. Years ago most products were built and designed to be repaired and last ~30+years. Manufactures would always have spare parts available. Today many items such as cars, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, lawn mowers, misc equipment, etc. are manufactured to last only a few years (often designed to last just after the warranty period expires), can only be replaced because they become un-repairable (are too expensive to repair, no spare parts available, etc.). So the manufactures (many in China) have spare parts available for a short amount of time, (such as just after a warranty expires.)

I have several items such as e.g. a Sears Kenmore freezer that is lying dead because the Chinese manufacture (where Kenmore and many other brands now produce their products) no longer manufacture spare parts for it. With the freezer being just over 2 years old, the warranty had expired. I called a repair shop and was quoted prices approx. the same as a new freezer.

Sears response is to purchase one of their newer freezers with an extended warranty (which I probably should have done but forgot, would have extended the warranty from 3 to 5 years, however even with a 5 year warranty there is no guarantee the an appliance is going to last and a new purchase potentially becomes ever 5 years) I guess my thinking at the time, after spending hundreds of dollars on a freezer it should be able to last more than 2 years.

I use to have a Coldspot refrigerator manufactured in the mid 50s that was still running, keeping items in the freezer and refrigerator the correct temperatures after 50 years.

I think what happened is over the years the mindset along with manufacturing laws and regulations have changed the amount of time a manufacture needs to have product support such as for spare parts, etc. So a manufacture will build a product to last up to the approx. maximum time required by law to support a product. Once the product fails it's often too expensive or impossible to repair, so the consumer goes out and purchases a new one if the warranty has expired. The old mindset was to build things to last and be repairable, the new mindset is to build products to fail, become obsolete, non-repairable and require replacement with a new product. Overall the newer mindset increases inflation and decreases the value of the dollar.

I think the 4 door is still around because there's more 4 door XJ's and no demand for a 2 door regulator, which may or may not have had spare parts to begin with.

Last edited:
The company in Phoenix, Power Window Regulators, was not able to fix the regulators due to the broken plastic guide piece. I did learn from them is how to fix the plastic tubing that the spiral cable rides in. See post #16.
What I ended up doing is buying a 4 door regulator and scabbed/fabbed some parts to make it work. It's still working to this day. The motors are readily available and I swapped those out, too. I think I got them at O'Reillys.
I recently found some regulators at a junkyard, so those are sitting on my shelf as spares.

Back