• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd vs 4wd AW4

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
would anyone happen to know the internal differences of the 2x vs 4x AW4? I know one is longer than the other, but I'm curious if the "guts" are the same. Meaning if I took a 2wd aw4 if I could put the guts in a shorty 4x4 aw4 case since I have access to a good clean 2wd aw4 and need a 4x4. If that makes sense. Thanks!

Your question is a little vague but the only difference is the output shaft which means a entire teardown.

I need a 4wd transmission but found a really low mile 2wd. If I can take the 2wd components and put them in the 4wd housing using the 4wd output shaft so that it is the correct length, I might consider doing it since the transmission is under 50k miles and extremely cheap.

Output shafts would be different. What year is yours and what year did the other trans. Spline count changed in '91 (I think) to 23 splines.

I dont see why what youre wanting to do wouldnt work. You're aware of the output shaft issue so should be able to work it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Output shafts would be different. What year is yours and what year did the other trans. Spline count changed in '91 (I think) to 23 splines.

Guessing it's a 2000 based on his public profile. I can't imagine finding an AW4 with 50k miles that would be old enough to have a mismatched spline.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort to tear down two transmissions just to swap parts over. Is the current 4wd transmission mechanically bad? If you're just looking for a "fresher" transmission, keep an eye out for a lower mileage used 4wd version. Or grab that one and put it back on Craiglist for $200 and see who bites (probably someone with a TPS sensor or bad shift solenoid and thinks the whole transmission is bad).

A lot more info needed from the OP, electrics would be the next issue.

Back